Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fried my Sanguino, any thoughts why?

Posted by PandPP 
Fried my Sanguino, any thoughts why?
September 26, 2012 06:03PM
I realise this is a long shot, but thought I'd give it a try.

Trying to calibrate my Prusa. Getting there slowly. Went to bed last night, had enough. All working, electronically at least.

Got up this morning, powered it on, then went to set up the PC ready for more testing.

Whilst I was busy, the extruder head heated up to the point that the filament literally dripped out of the nozzle, smoke filled the room. It's only PLA, so it wasn't too bad.

I turned the power off, but, now the Sanguino won't talk to me, not even with just a feedback loop.

Any one got thoughts on what might have gone wrong, what might have caused it? I realised it's any of 1000 things, BUT, maybe people have seen it before.

Not sure if I start by replacing the FTDI chip, or just replace the lot.

Any easy ways to test the pieces, without another Sanguino? I suspect not.

Thanks,

Peter.
Re: Fried my Sanguino, any thoughts why?
September 29, 2012 12:00AM
disconnect everything and just PC-sanguino ? make it talk ?
Re: Fried my Sanguino, any thoughts why?
September 29, 2012 12:10AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried that, but no joy.

Via Putty, I could connect. Jumper the Rx & Tx together, and you'd get rubbish out, so, some part of the chip got fried, but, not all of it.

Sourced a new FTDI chip, next day delivery. Managed to get the old chip off without too much board destruction & solder the new one on.

Up it came after that.

Back to trying to calibrate it. Off to my HackerSpace on Monday, hopefully they can lend a hand & point out the obvious to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login