Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

upgraded to 32bit and marlin 2.0.x, unable to get correct bed size

Posted by doug_scott 
upgraded to 32bit and marlin 2.0.x, unable to get correct bed size
February 05, 2020 09:51PM
I have a FLSun CUBE 3d printer that I want to upgrade to 32 bit. I purchased this motherboard "Makerbase MKS SGen L 3D Printer Motherboard 32-Bit Controller Compatible with Marlin 2.0 Smoothie Firmware TMC2130/2208/2100 498", along with TMC2208s.

Rest of machine is pretty much as it came when it was purchased. It had the 8bit motherboard. It had no issues with G28 or G29. It also printed. I have been trying to get this to just accept the size of the bed, and keep the nozzle from trying to exit the machine if I enter any number over 125. For example, entering G1 X125 will move the nozzle from its home at 0 and will stop with the proximity sensor right at edge of bed. The sensor is 38mm from the nozzle, and 0 on the y-axis, and 0 on the z-axis.

Bed size is 300x300
Printer is 260x260x350

The only way I can get it to at least appear to work is to cut bed size in half. Not sure of the impact that will have on printing, to me it looks like it would screw with the relationship between x-y and z. Sort of like printed items would end up being short and fat, or tall and fat, depending on how the logic treats the relationships. I posted in another thread, but, should have created my own instead. I have been at this since new years. I have very little knowledge in 3d printing, but, have been self taught on pc's since mid 80's. Not unusual to spend 5 to 6 hours just trying something I found.

I have posted a zip file containing both configurations.h and configurations_adv.h at [www.dropbox.com] . I would really appreciate any help I can get with this.
Re: upgraded to 32bit and marlin 2.0.x, unable to get correct bed size
February 05, 2020 11:11PM
"Bed size is 300x300, Printer is 260x260x350"

so the bed is physically larger than the printer? You sure its not a TARDIS? bigger on the inside???

Googling for machine information I find
Large Printing Size: 260*260*350mm.

printing size! not printer size...

so the following is correct
#define X_BED_SIZE 260
#define Y_BED_SIZE 260
#define Z_BED_SIZE 350

you also have
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 200, 200, 400, 166 }
and

#define X_MICROSTEPS 16
#define Y_MICROSTEPS 16
#define Z_MICROSTEPS 16

The original drivers where A4988 so max of 16 micro steps
the original has #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 166 }
since your X is moving twice as far as it should, I would say you also need 100 steps/mm not 200

But If you really want 200 steps/mm
you need to change the X_MICROSTEPS and Y_MICROSTEPS to 32 in Configuration_adv.h
February 06, 2020 04:21PM
Thanks for the reply. Guess it depends on if you are using printer as a noun or a verb. English is an odd language, context is everything.

Something I should have mentioned is that I took the configuration.h file from the working Marlin 1.1.9 on the 8 bit setup. Changed the motherboard to match the new one, and tried to build it. Fixed the errors regarding syntax changes, and the build completed.

I should have kept better notes in the configuration.h file, but, was not expecting it to need a 3rd party look at it. I started with the #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 166 } and the distance was double size. I then tried the 200 setting, not knowing how it would react. It reacted the same, going past end of bed. Didn't think to try half instead. It was at this time that I stopped using a number over 130 when testing distance. I enter G1 X130 now instead of G1 X260.

I tried changing to #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 168 } and re-building. Same result, if I enter G1 X130 the nozzle goes to edge of bed, actually the proximity sensor goes to edge of bed, the nozzle stops about 36mm short of end of bed. I then tried leaving setting where it was and changed the #define X, Y, Z_MICROSTEPS 16 to 32 in the configuration_adv.h file, built it, no change.

I then put #define X, Y, Z_MICROSTEPS back to 16, and changed the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 50, 50, 400, 168 } to { 25, 25, 400, 168}, rebuilt, pressed reset button on motherboard, and tried it again. Same results. It acts like I did not change a thing. I have verified that it is putting a new bin file on the sdcard, and after pressing the reset button the bin file is being renamed to .cur.

I just do not understand why this is happening. Is there a default set of settings that will simply define the boundaries and just the bare minimums in order to validate the hardware? Sort of like a "hello world" but for a 3d printer.
February 06, 2020 06:58PM
If nothing changes when up update the firmware its normally that you have EEPROM settings.
These take precedence over firmware settings.

You have to update your eeprom setting to the same as the firmware.

M502
M500

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 06:59PM by Dust.
February 07, 2020 08:45AM
I did the M502 followed by M500. It still behaves the same way.
February 07, 2020 10:32AM
Got thinking about it, and changing the MICROSTEPS to double and to half the amount changed nothing, just like doubling the STEPS_PER_UNIT did. So, I cut the MICROSTEPS in half, to 8, built and ran it. Now it is running the full bed, from 0 to 260, G29 works again for the full table. I had to build it again to reverse the extruder direction, and while doing that I also put the STEPS_PER_UNIT back to the original 100, 100, 400, 166 settings that the 8 bit setup used. Rebuilt it, flashed and ran it. It still works as it should. I am just printing off the 20mm box, and it is about half done now and looks like it is finally working. I am going to be replacing the heated bed with 24v one, along with the heater and adding in a 24v power supply.

Thanks for the help and guidance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login