Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blobs at end of print

Posted by Twitchy 
Blobs at end of print
October 15, 2012 11:32AM
I'm starting to get the hang of my prusa printer. I'm having an issue though where the head is not returning to the x/y origin immediately after print, it waits several minutes and some plastic oozes out of the nozzle during this time. I'd like it to return to origin immediately after print and allow any residual plastic to fall there rather than all over my print. Is there some setting I'm missing or something I'm doing wrong? I use pronterface with slic3r if that helps.
Re: Blobs at end of print
October 16, 2012 09:40AM
I think I solved it. In slic3r, under the gcode tab, there was a field for "end gcode." It looked like this:

M104 s0 ; turn off temperature
M190 s0 ; set bed temperature
G28 X0 ; home X axis
G28 Y0 ; home Y axis
M84 ; disable motors

I changed it to:

G28 X0 ; home X axis
G28 Y0 ; home Y axis
M104 s0 ; turn off temperature
M190 s0 ; set bed temperature
M84 ; disable motors

The M190 command was setting the bed temperature and telling the printer to wait until it reached that temperature, so the home commands weren't being processed until the bed cooled. All the while, plastic was oozing. Putting the home instructions first resolved the issue.
October 22, 2012 05:51AM
You also don't need to wait for the bed to be cold at the end. Use M140 instead of M190.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 22, 2012 07:09AM
I agree - it's also impractical to wait for the bed to get cold if you want to print something else. Quite often after a print completes I turn the bed back on right away while I prepare my g-code file.

Besides, I'm not sure how it works when cooling, but I think you'd be waiting a LONG if you were waiting for the bed to reach 0; mine seldom goes below 22 or so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login