Recommendations on a Hotend?
October 23, 2012 07:21PM
I'm just building my first reprap and I have pretty much all the parts sourced, but I'm still wondering about the hotend. I do plan to print ABS and possibly experiment with plastics, so heat is an issue.

First I'm looking at these hotend:
1:ebay.ie
2:ebay.ie
3:ebay.ie
I'm wondering about the PTFE in their construction, will they weaken with heat during operation?

The final one is made from PEEK, a slightly older J-head model?
4:ebay.ie

The J-head from hotends.com looks good also. however I would prefer to order from Europe, because of customs. If hotends.com is much better, I would order from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 06:12PM by rptynan.

-Richard

[tynan.me]
Re: Recommendations on a Hotend?
October 23, 2012 09:19PM
The third and fourth are the same. This is the only one that I would take a closer look at. But I wouldn't buy it without more detailed info showing drawings of the parts (nozzle, heater block, PEEK insulator and PTFE tubing. I would also want to find others who have been successful with them along with some sample prints.
October 24, 2012 06:19PM
Sorry, just changed 4 there, what exactly am I looking for when buying a hotend?

-Richard

[tynan.me]
October 24, 2012 10:48PM
I recommend getting a J-Head from hotends.com. I have the Mk IV-B and Mk V-B for printing mainly in ABS. So far, the V-B is working well. I had some issues with the IV-B due to the teflon lining getting tighter near the hot zone over time. I fixed this by pushing and pulling a drill bit by hand while the assembled hot end was upside down.

I'm not familiar with the difference between the Mk IV which is your choice 4 and the Mk IV-B.
October 26, 2012 12:37AM
Hello,

The J-Head Mk V-B is shorter than the MK IV-B and no longer has a taper on the liner as it goes into the brass nozzle. So, the crimping problem is resolved. In addition the MK V-B has a longer melt zone.

Regards,

Brian
October 26, 2012 05:42AM
I think I will order from hotends.com, they seem to have a really good name around here. Does anyone know if I would likely to get charged by customs on the hotend, seeing as it's coming from outside Europe and is worth around €50?

-Richard

[tynan.me]
October 26, 2012 06:24AM
I too live in europe and have ordered j-heads from hotends.com more then once, I've never had to pay taxes. unlike when i order from china, everthing i order gets red-flagged and taxed like a motherfucker

And picking the J-Head is the RIGHT! choice, best hotend on the market.
October 26, 2012 01:43PM
lol I had the same problem with Mk IV-B as brnrd and fixed it the same way.

Anywho. Check out Arcol sometime.

The Mk V-B is an awesome hotend especially for beginners, but I think it's more suseptible to dragging through prints if you dont use Z-lift and arcols tip will just kinda smooth the prints out.

Arcol isnt exactly a beginner hotend though.

-Tom
October 26, 2012 01:54PM
I don't see why it would be more susceptible to dragging compared to other nozzles if you're not extruding too much plastic.
October 26, 2012 02:00PM
Not so much over extruding, but rather my first layers are a little squished. Anyway both of these issues are something a beginner like rptynan will have.

Maybe I just like the extra staying power of a squished layer ok? ok!? winking smiley

-Tom
October 26, 2012 02:54PM
The archol hotend is a bit out of my price range, considering this is my first build, but I'll keep it in mind if I ever build a higher spec reprap. So I probably will order the J-head once they're back in stock, nice to know there probably won't be customs tax on it.

As far as nozzle size goes, should I stick with .5mm or would I be able to get a .4mm, considering I'm a beginner?

Thanks for all the help everyone smiling smiley

-Richard

[tynan.me]
October 26, 2012 03:08PM
When I built my first printer thought I'd be a badass and get a .25mm nozzle AND save money by ordering 10lbs of cheap plastic. Still havent managed to unclog that nozzle.

Stick with .5 and it'll save you a headache or go with .4 and learn from your mistakes.

-Tom
October 26, 2012 03:43PM
I also started with a 0.5 mm nozzle, but I don't see why I couldn't have started with a 0.35 mm nozzle. At the time when I got my first printer, smaller nozzles were harder to find. Now, they are more readily available.
November 11, 2012 03:00PM
Thanks for the help guys smiling smiley

-Richard

[tynan.me]
November 12, 2012 01:07AM
+1 on the 0.5mm nozzle, I started with what I thought to be a 0.35mm and after several calibration prints with very little plastic I found out that it was a 0.3mm... When I switched to a 0.5mm everything was much easier!

Prusa with cast PU parts, RAMPS 1.3, Wades extruder, J-Head hot end
November 12, 2012 03:30PM
My first hotend was 0.25mm, things took a long time to print but they looked very nice. I had minimal problems.

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
Prusa Mendel I2, RAMPS 1.4, Marlin 1.0 R2, Pronterface, Slic3r
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login