Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ORD Hadron with PrintBoard and QU-BD extruder?

Posted by brain 
ORD Hadron with PrintBoard and QU-BD extruder?
November 19, 2012 01:52AM
Anyone have experience with marrying any of these together?

Conventional wisdom around here is to buy a complete unit, using 3mm filament, and work with it for a while, and that may indeed be the path we choose. We're looking at the PrintrBot+ for the starting unit. We're impressed with the Hadron design, and would buy it as a finished unit, but it does not appear to be offered that way (If someone is interested, I'd love to chat :-). So, we were thinking of getting the +, familiarizing ourselves, and then transferring the PrintrBoard and the bed to the Hadron, buying a new extruder/hotend or two for the unit.

However, if that's not going to work, then we'd like to come up with a plan that will end up running on the Hadron.

Jim
Re: ORD Hadron with PrintBoard and QU-BD extruder?
November 23, 2012 07:46PM
I don't like the fact that the Printrboard stepper drivers are integrated, as that means that a blown driver renders the entire board useless. However, it will work just fine with another cartesian bot, such as the Hadron. As long as the extruder utilizes a stepper motor, it will work with any RepRap electronics. So, a Hadron with a Printrboard and QU-BD extruder will work just fine.

One thing to note though: Direct drive NEMA 17 extruders like the QU-BD don't work well with 3 mm filament, they just don't have enough torque. Either use 1.75 mm filament with it or use a different extruder.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
November 24, 2012 12:06AM
Ah, good note on the integrated drivers.

I wonder what size stepper Gregs Accessible and other such extruders use.

Jim
November 24, 2012 08:41AM
Brain: they almost all use nema 17 motors. That is the standard for all of the motors.
November 27, 2012 09:41PM
brain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, good note on the integrated drivers.
>
> I wonder what size stepper Gregs Accessible and
> other such extruders use.
>
> Jim

They mostly all use NEMA 17's as tiny mentioned, however they are geared down to give the necessary torque for pushing 3 mm filament.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login