Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Purpose of Netfabb??

Posted by mars bonfire 
Purpose of Netfabb??
December 06, 2012 01:20PM
I am working my way "up" the toolchain for my custom machine and things are going surprisingly well. Sprinter firmware, Printrun interface, playing with KISSlicer...things are starting to make senses.

What is not clear is what role Netfabb plays in the tool chain.

I have read references that say it is good to run an .stl file "through netfabb" I assume before slicing and that it "fixes problems". Further complicating this is I am having a hard time understanding exactly what Netfabb is. So, are insight would be appreciated into how to think about netfabb and what it fixes and when to use it.

TIA,

Steve
Re: Purpose of Netfabb??
December 06, 2012 01:35PM
I'm using Netfabb-Basic.

When Slic3r complains about an .stl file, I open my copy of Netfabb and navigate..."Part > Add" and load the offending part in.

Then I hit the big Red Plus and tell it to repair and replace the part.

Then I go "Part > Export part > as STL", and save the repaired part.

Slic3r usually likes it then.

You can also use the basic version for rotating and scaling parts.

I'm sure there is more you Can do with the basic, but some of the better editing functions need Pro edition.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
December 06, 2012 03:15PM
It fixes up any errors created in the model that might have inadvertently been drawn in. Solidworks created STL's have a tendency to need running through Netfabb

December 06, 2012 10:02PM
yes i am finding my solidworks stl need repairing too

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
April 30, 2013 05:23PM
I have tried this, but my STL is still causing problems..
I started a new thread here

[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login