Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lubricating LM8UU/LM10UU bearings

Posted by jbernardis 
Lubricating LM8UU/LM10UU bearings
December 21, 2012 06:44PM
I am in the process of building a new printer using wired1's OB1 design. The X and Y axes use 8mm smooth bar and the Z axis 10mm. Everything is going together fine, but the bearings feel a little rough on the rods. I've loosened it up quite a bit just by moving them back and forth, but they still feel like they could use a bit of lubrication. The question is what's the best thing to use. Should I go oil-based or grease-based? I see some newer products that are oil/PTFE or grease/PTFE combinations; are these appropriate? What about dry lubricants like graphite or PTFE poowder?

I don't want to use the wrong thing and have to clean or replace the bearings.

Thanks
Re: Lubricating LM8UU/LM10UU bearings
December 22, 2012 11:45AM
I think you should avoid the PTFE based greases or thick, high temperature greases like wheel bearing grease as they may stop the balls re-circulating. White lithium grease should be good. A while ago though, I read that you shouldn't use spray lubricants on any linear ball bearings - possibly they contain an agent that helps them spray evenly but does no good to precision ball bearings.

Although I couldn't hold my hand on my heart about this, I think that dry lubricants are a no-no on any ball bearing.
December 22, 2012 02:18PM
I use 3in1 oil on mine which seems to work without being messy
December 22, 2012 06:25PM
I've been using tri-flow and it works really well. Get it at any bike shop.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
December 22, 2012 08:13PM
I use white lithium grease, whatever you use you have to apply it to the inside of the bearings, if you try and put it on the rod, the bearings just wipe it off.
December 22, 2012 11:20PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try the tri-flow. I've heard good things about it. Thanks too polygonhell; I noticed that the bearings just wipe off the lubricant. I don't look forward to disassembling the x axis, but I agree its needed.
December 24, 2012 01:14PM
Also, the bearings will distribute an even film of grease onto the rods. We already had some trouble with X-axis steppers losing steps because the heated bed somehow evaporated / changed the composition of the grease and made it thick and sticky. Maybe cleaning the rods regularly will mitigate this problem, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login