Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hey, I'm new here and I have a few questions

Posted by GofiLorD 
Hey, I'm new here and I have a few questions
December 29, 2012 09:16AM
Hi,
my name is Oren and I am new to the whole RepRap business. Although I already read many many things and saw many videos, I know that I am going to build a Mendel Prusa. The plastics I'm gonna get from a friend of mine who has a 3D printer already, and he is just going to print everything on this page:
[github.com]
Right?
In addition to that, I would like to know if my HPB design is good:
A 3mm thick aluminum square coated with Kapton tape and underneath it there is NiChrome wire... What do you say?
And finally, what do I need for the extruder besides the hot end, plastics and NEMA17?
Sorry for the terrible English and many questions smiling smiley
Thanks a lot smiling bouncing smiley
Re: Hey, I'm new here and I have a few questions
December 29, 2012 03:33PM
M8 threaded rods, 8mm smooth rods, maybe a small computer case fan. Lots of spare time

December 30, 2012 08:48AM
NelsonRap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> M8 threaded rods, 8mm smooth rods, maybe a small
> computer case fan. Lots of spare time

Hi, thanks for the quick answer. Are you talking about what I need for the extruder besides the parts I mentioned?
And what about the other questions? smiling smiley
Re: Hey, I'm new here and I have a few questions
January 02, 2013 04:46PM
I'm pretty new to the game. I built a Prusa Mendel a little over a month ago. It was a fun process (sometimes frustrating). I was lucky enough to have a friend who had built several and he helped me out alot (over the phone). You mentioned that your friend has one. Did your friend build it?

I would start by looking at the assembly guide on this site as well as youtube videos to get a general understanding of how the machine gets put together. Then google "Prusa Mendel BOM" or something like that to see other people's parts lists. Be prepared for some confusion at this point. Most BOMs (bill of materials) are slightly different and trying to figure out exactly what you need can be a challenge. There are many variations that may do the same thing. At least you will have a general idea of what parts you will need. An alternative would be to buy a kit that has all of the parts ready to build.

In general you will need:

Plastic parts (printed by your friend)
Vitamins (threaded rod, smooth rod, nuts, bolts, washers, linear bearings, springs, hobbed bolt)
12V power supply
5 Nema17 stepper motors
Electronics (main board, stepper controllers, limit switches)
HBP (several ways to do this - a whole topic in itself)
Drive belts
Hot end
Glass plate (if you will be printing with ABS)
Kapton tape?

"And finally, what do I need for the extruder besides the hot end, plastics and NEMA17?" - You will need a hobbed bolt, a 608zz bearing, springs, bolts.... You can find these parts sold as a kit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login