Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Megatronics v2.0

Posted by brupje 
Megatronics v2.0
January 02, 2013 10:56AM
Megatronics v2.0, the new version of our populair Megatronics line of Reprap Electronics, is expected februari 16th. I will publish sources and datasheet as soon as they are ready for publishing.

[reprapworld.com]

Major features:

Atmega2560
Powerful Atmega2560 processor with 256 kB memory, running at 16Mhz

Thermo couple (2x)
On board support for connecting two thermo couples

SD Card
Autonomous printing from Micro SD card on board
LCD support
Hooking up a LCD is pretty easy. The Wiring is compatible with most LCD screens. We do not sell the required wiring yet, but you can use 6x2-wire cable.

Five MOSFETs
The board has 4 MOSFETs (4x 150A) to support fans and extruders and 1 MOSFET (200A) for the heated bed

Up to 6 stepper drivers ( third extruder, double z axis)
Compatible with RAMPS, 6 slots for stepper drivers (not included). Modularized to make replacement easy for damaged drivers. This board also support the new DRV8825 driver from Pololu [www.pololu.com].

Support for many peripherals
The board's functions can be easily extended with LCD, keypad etc. See the connectors section for more information

More information coming soon!

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
Re: Megatronics v2.0
January 09, 2013 06:49AM
Hi I've planned to extend megatronics with 2 extra fan's And I'm seeing You did it already smiling smiley Great Job!
January 13, 2013 03:26AM
few weeks been away ... n wow nice ... n wow drv8825 !!!
January 13, 2013 07:36PM
150A not enough for a bed??? What is it, a solid sheet of copper!

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 29, 2013 04:01AM
I have released an preliminary datasheet:
[reprapworld.com] megatronicsv2.pdf

reprapworld.com
February 09, 2013 04:31AM
Sources have been released, also I updated the wiki and there is a marlin version available.

First kits ship monday smiling smiley

reprapworld.com
February 09, 2013 10:46AM
Here is a vid of the new board printing:
[www.youtube.com]

reprapworld.com
March 12, 2013 05:40AM
brupje Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have released an preliminary datasheet:
> [reprapworld.com]
> megatronicsv2.pdf

file no longer available?
wish I had saved it after all sad smiley
March 12, 2013 06:03AM
March 13, 2013 01:51AM
this 1 board solution is really nice. at least the drivers are still modular.
April 21, 2013 09:04PM
Not being an electronics expert and having read the datasheet I am a little confused with the following.

1. If you run a 24V heater bed can you run 12V steppers?
2. Do I connect 12V to 12V1 and 24V to 12V2 to run a 24V heater?
3. I am looking at using a siliconve heater bed, the 12V Draws Up to 20 Amps and the 24V Draws Up to 10 Amp, is the board capable of handling this?

Thanks
April 22, 2013 02:02AM
It's a bit confusing indeed.

1. Yes, the circuit for heated bed is a different one than the rest.
2. Yes
3. 10A is no problem. 20A is to high for long term usage

reprapworld.com
April 22, 2013 04:13PM
Are the Megatronics sets on eBay being sold by you? Or are they Chinese copies? eg: [www.ebay.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 22, 2013 04:18PM
They are copies, we sell from The Netherlands. They are more expensive too.

reprapworld.com
April 22, 2013 04:39PM
brupje Wrote:
> They are copies, we sell from The Netherlands.
> They are more expensive too.

Good to know. I think my next board will be Megatronics, and from you directly.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 22, 2013 10:23PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Any recommendations as to power supplies??
April 23, 2013 01:25AM
Any pc power supply capable of delivering at least 18A should be ok. I don't recommend the cheap chinese ones, they are dangerous, don't shut down on shorts for example

reprapworld.com
May 10, 2013 01:59AM
@brupje

I look at Megatronics v2.0 design files and tracks for motors output have 0.3mm !!! Using IPC-2221 (IPC-D-275) calculation It means that single track can handle only around 0.5A or with 2oz design 0.85A safely, everything above is out of design limit is current Megatronics is manufactured as 1oz or 2oz ?

Best Regards
Martin

www.gadgets3d.com - parts for your 3D printer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 02:04AM by Martin_G3D.
May 10, 2013 09:28AM
Looks like a sweet piece of hardware.
May 19, 2013 10:14AM
Martin_G3D Wrote:
> @brupje
>
> I look at Megatronics v2.0 design files and tracks
> for motors output have 0.3mm !!! Using IPC-2221
> (IPC-D-275) calculation It means that single track
> can handle only around 0.5A or with 2oz design
> 0.85A safely, everything above is out of design
> limit is current Megatronics is manufactured as
> 1oz or 2oz ?

Yikes. I was looking around for hardware for a new printer and was considering Megatronics. Just opening on the PCB layout in their PDF version and Martin is correct! Those traces for the motor outputs are seriously undersized. Unless that is some sort of joke played on the chinese clone makers and the actual boards from brupje have it done correctly.
June 01, 2013 09:47AM
Would be nice to hear some official information on this.
Could you please clear this up, brupje? A real pity if this nice all-in-one solution was indeed faulty.
June 10, 2013 05:07PM
hi i have bought a megatronics 2.0 from reprapworld.com, i have connected the 20x4 lcd and the keypad
all using the marlin firmware downloaded from reprapworld
the board works well wito 2 estruders and a hotbed the lcd works well to....
but the keypad ... only works enter key and encoder, all the other buttons .. no way
does anyone could help me?

thanks
Antonio
May 24, 2014 01:28PM
When hooking up Megatronics v2 to 24 volts, do i need to have the src12v jumpered? the documentation is confusing.

Thanks for any help.

Bill C
October 14, 2014 06:52PM
The thread is old, but I thought I answer anyways as I also stumbled accross the same questions and could not find a post anywhere that answered all questions I had. IMHO the documentation is quite confusing, so I studied the schematics and figured by posting this I may help others in the same position.

Regarding power, the board supports three options.

a) The default, src12shorted. Both inputs (12V1 and 12V2) are feeded with 12 volts.This means you run the 3d printer and all components of it (steppers, heaters, fans etc.) on 12 volts. The advantage of this configuration is - no heaache as most periphals available are designed to run on 12 volts. The achiveable speeds of the printer won't be the best possible though albeit it will be very useable.

b) You still have src12v shorted, but you feed 24 volts on the 12V2 input. This means you need a heated bed that can handle 24 volts. Advantage is that the bed will heat up quicker. Anything else is running on 12 volts like in config a) with the same restrictions.

c) src12v is open. In this configuration you can also feed 24volts to the 12V1 input. This results in the polu stepper drivers being run at 24volts and of course all heaters and any other things you connect to the 12volt connectors in fact will get 24 volts. The polu step sticks can handle this and probably most stepper motors used in the context of 3d printing run on 24v too. The advantage of this is that you have more power on the steppers meaning you can run the printer faster without loosing steps. The downside of this is that since the jumper is open, there is no voltage available for the digital part of the board (ATMega CPU). In order to provide a suitable voltage to the digital part, you need to feed something between 7.5 volts and 12 volts to the input of the formentioned low drop voltage regulator or alternatively, power the digital part through the USB port. The latter option IMHO is not really an option though as this would mean that the printer cannot run without a PC being conected. A way to provide those 7.5 to 12 volts is i.e. to use a little DC/DC converter which brings down the 24volts to a value between 7.5 to 12 volts with 9 volts being a quite ideal case as then the linear low drop voltage regulator will not get hot. You could connect the + pole of the OUTPUT of this DC/DC converter to the pole of the src12v jumper that is closer to the USB connector on the board and connect the + pole of the INPUT of this DC/DC regulator to the pole of the src12v jumper that is farther away from the USB connector. The negative (GND) pole is common with all other GND poles available on many connectors on the board.

There is one thing to watch out for with configuration c) though. ALL periphals you connect to the board must be able to handle 24 volts then. This includes all heaters (i.e. in the extruders), fans etc. or other things you connect to the board. If you design a printer from ground up, that's not really a problem as all periphals you need are also available in 24 volt versions.

EDIT:
There was an error in my original of the above statement (meanwhile corrected). The output voltage of the DC/DC converter, when connected to the src12v jumper as described above MUST be at least 7.5v as there are TWO linear voltage regulators which are dasy chained behind each other where the first one converts 12v down to 5v (which the SD card needs) and the second one converts those 5v down to 3.3v for the Atmel CPU. Now, the first regulator requires at least 7.5 volts to operate propperly. So, provided one wants to go with the DC/DC converter aproach (option c from above), it's output has to be between 7.5 and 12v with 9v probably being a safe value.

HTH

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 04:15PM by markus123456.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login