Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VM ware

Posted by brucew 
VM ware
May 09, 2007 01:15PM
In the devoloper forum Forrest posted about Vm ware. and or live cd.

i had some insight.

1st. I have been running vm ware for my reprap software. and i have found that the sun java com api seems to have a hard time talking to the usb port and also the serial port i am running vm ware workstation 5

2nd I have started on a live cd and have found the java license to be a problem.

my 3rd option i had was a install script like automatrix this is a perl script made for ubuntu this would let us edit the script we would have to host a repository for the software btu it seems like the best answer i have found so far..

Bruce Wattendorf
Re: VM ware
May 09, 2007 02:19PM
on the plus side, i read somewhere that java is releasing the jdk as open source, which should make including it on a livecd so much easier.
May 09, 2007 02:22PM
i dont know if you've seen this, but this could be a great place to start: its a java development livecd. they seem to have found a solution to java licensing problems.

[moe.tnc.edu.tw]
May 09, 2007 02:24PM
this is cool Zach thanks i will download and give it a try.

Bruce
May 09, 2007 05:21PM
I read that thread, (to date), but I can't comment there.

A livedisc would be wonderful, but I can see it hiccupping on some of the...less common... rigs.

An installer, or E3 key, would be much better.

Of course...if you have an E3 key setup, and your next reprap will be USB capable, natively...
How about putting the E3 key together with the unit. I've long wondered why USB appliances didn't install themselves. There is no reason my printer, for instance, shouldn't have had the drivers and software in the printer instead of on a CD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login