Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using google sketch up

Posted by marekd 
Using google sketch up
January 22, 2013 11:26AM
Hello,
is ther posibility to use googel sketch up to create models for 3d prints?

i have tried to use this pugin.
When i open stl file in meshlab i cna see it there with all details.
When i open same STL file in slicer it des nto seesm to be displayed correct. And it is on osx if it matters.

I do not have any actual experience with printign such model as i do not have finished my printer yet.
Re: Using google sketch up
January 22, 2013 11:44AM
Yes you can use it but there are a few tricks to using it. You will need to add a plugin to export to stl files to print and there are a couple of other things I use on occasion. Search for the following plugins.
STL For Sketchup Soundforge Import and export
tt_cleanup
Centerpoint All
Delete Coplaner edges
I purchased this and it can be helpful but not required, saves some time. "SU Solid Free Version" this one is the free one ot search for but has limits.
there are a few more as well. You can private message me if you wan to discuss this on the phone or something, lots of little things I have ran into and come up with. You can also search google for sketchup for 3d printing and probably come up with a lot of things.

John AKA Unlucky1
January 22, 2013 07:59PM
The reason why Slic3r is not displaying your sketch correctly is likely to be because it contain wholes. I usually use NetFabb (free version) to detect and fix the wholes.

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
January 23, 2013 03:09AM
Here is my sketch model.
testexports.skp
It contains holes a on purpose.

Marek
January 23, 2013 04:03AM
Franklin doesn´t mean actual holes in the object, what you have done is fine. What is meant is that all of the object has to solid, that is it needs to have a face on every side, if you have a gap anywhere, then the object will not be solid and either will not print properly or you will get weird results. If there are holes in the faces, you will get an error when you try to import it in to slic3r. What you have done with the holes through the object is fine because it still has faces around the hole, keeping the object solid.

I also recommend that you get NetFabb as it highlights errors and saves messing around trying to find silly errors.
January 23, 2013 12:37PM
Think of your object as a container to hold water. Each hollow part has to be leak proof. I use cloud.netfabb.com as well because it will fix things that the free version will not. One small point between two lines can cause you issues, again water tight in general. Another thing I ran into was that there is an inside and outside wall on your objects. They will generally have different colors, make sure all walls, curves,.... that are on the outside of the object are the same color and if you looked where the water would be if you filled it with water, they need to all be the same color as well. It took me forever to figure out why netfabb was showing issues when the object looked perfect. I do not know if it related you your object or not but I will take a look when I get a chance and see if I can tell you where the issue is.
January 23, 2013 12:48PM
ok, just pulled it up in sketchup and it looked good. I exported it as an stl file and specified mm and saved it and pulled it up in netfabb running locally and it looks good as well. Can you tell me what slic3r is showing or is it giving you an error? Be sure to specify mm when exporting the stl file as well. I assume you are using a plugin to export it to an stl and not just changing the file name to .stl correct? Search google for this plugin and install it skp_to_dxf.rb . thats what I use to export to stl files. I also use jf_stl_importer.rb to import them. I think the first one I have you does both but I use the jim fultz to import. Be sure if you import an stl into sketchup, to specify mm. Let us know.
January 23, 2013 01:04PM
I am using stl4su.rb to export. I am specifiig mm as unit during exporting. Here is what i see in slicer
The issue is that this part should have holes in it an it does not show it
January 23, 2013 05:16PM
Marekd,

Is Slic3r poping-up an error message? If not, your sketch has NO problems. Acknowledge the fact that Slic3r doesn't display the 3D model when you import it or slice it.

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
January 23, 2013 05:31PM
Hi there,
I loaded your test Sketchup file, exported it as an STL. It slices fine, even without running through Netfabb. I'm not sure why the Slic3r Plater view shows your test object as a solid square, but I don't think there is a problem with your object or the exported STL you have.

I use Repetier-host. It has an excellent 3D view of any STL you load, and a similar view of the sliced object that you can use to explore detail, layer by layer. I see the same "red square" as you when I load the STL directly on to Slic3r Plater tab (I would not normally do this when using Repetier-host, even when using Slic3r as the slicing package. (Slic3r v 0.9.1)

I don't know if this helps you or not, but if you just want to come at this from a different angle you could try Repetier-host (for it's convenient preview of STLs if not as a printer host and work on from there.) I believe there is a Mac version.
Regards,
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
January 23, 2013 07:45PM
If you post the stl you are outputing, I can take a look at it too. If hte stl is bad, you need to update or reinstall your slic3r. I 2nd repitier host, i use it as well and it has a pretty new version of slic3r built in.
January 24, 2013 01:42PM
Here is My stl file. This one was processed by netfab.
But netfab did not find any holes.
a_bin_repair.stl
January 24, 2013 03:15PM
FYI, Slic3r will not show the holes, mine did not with your stl. you will only see the holes in certain viewers like the one in repitier and they show up fine. Pronterface allows you to move through the sliced layers and you should see them in there also. Slicer does not have much of a viewer. load repitier if ould to load the gcode and look at it. I use it for everything now. Took a little getting used to after using slic3r to slice and pronterface to print but it has a lot of cool stuff. If you view them in repitier and you do not see the holes on the gcode tab, your slicer is messed up.
January 24, 2013 03:16PM
If you want to post the gcode file, I can take a look at that too but everything else looks and acts fine.
January 24, 2013 03:18PM
NumberSix
I'm not sure why the Slic3r Plater view shows your test object as a solid square...

It shows it as a square because that is what it is.
The Slic3r view is a 2d TOP View!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 24, 2013 05:36PM
Bob, thas is what I said 10 posts ago hehehe

Slic3r doesn't show the 3D model, not even a 2d model. It only shows how much space the object will occupy on the printing bed.

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login