Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Request for advice] Selecting first reprap kit to build

Posted by PierreB 
[Request for advice] Selecting first reprap kit to build
February 11, 2013 11:53PM
After seeing 3D printers at the Orlando Mini Maker Faire last year and again at the NYC Maker Faire this year, I finally got to try one out at work (a Replicator 2), and now I'm hooked. I'm in the market to get a 3D printer, but I am having a very difficult time choosing which reprap kit to buy/build. Here's where my thought process is:
- Looking for 100 micron resolution (want to equal performance of what I saw with the Replicator 2)
- Looking to print both PLA and ABS
- Would like to be able to use 1.75mm PLA filament since I already have 2 spools of it, but this is not a dealbreaker if I need to order new filament
- Would rather have large build platform over small
- Looking to assemble from full kit (printed plastic + electronics/hardware)
- Want to be able to upgrade to multiple colors in the future (the new 3 color upgrade for the Mendel looks like it could be a lot of fun)
- Would prefer to buy from vendor in the U.S. (my assumption here is S&H would be cheaper and support will be easier if I need to order replacement parts)

After spending time reading through the forums, various Google searches and the reprap wiki, it seems that I should be focusing on a Prusa Mendel 2 (or variant thereof). It seems that my options are:
1) Purchase a RepRapPro Mendel kit from RepRapProcom - currently out of stock - $ ?? 800 ??
2) Purchase a Prusa Mendel 2 kit from NWRepRap.com - $777 - hard to find reviews online, but YouTube assembly video seem complete and detailed
3) Purchase a Ecksbot (based on Prusa 2) from Eckertech - $750 - 1 review on their site seems OK, promises of upgraded performance over Prusa Mendel 2 sound good, but I found a YouTube video where someone said it was OK for starter printer but they're moving on
4-??) I'm sure that I've missed some others
Re: [Request for advice] Selecting first reprap kit to build
February 12, 2013 11:28AM
I have built several machines and My favorite to date is the printrbot. I'm also doing a custom build though of the printrbot. What I like about the printrbot is that you can extend all the axis fairly easily. You can Check out My build as well at My link. I've also heard great things about the Delta as well as the mendal Max. Your on the right track, read reviews and ask people. If you definitely want all of the requirements that you stated be ready to pay for it. If money is not an issue than that won't be a problem. I like the prusa as well. I have a friend that owns a prusa air 2 and He is very satisfied. The prusa is very similar to the printrbot design. Check out My link and you can see My custom printrbot build.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
February 16, 2013 07:53PM
I bought a RepRapPro Mendel as my first 3D printer. This was based on a recommendation and I must say that I am VERY impressed.

What I wanted was a complete set of parts that I could easily build and get running. The kit supplied is VERY complete, even down to nice things like the SD Card and a roll of Kapton tape. Everything is bagged and labelled .. for example 30mm M3 bolt 4 off .. you get the idea, pretty idiot proof. The build instructions are complete and, if followed closely, will result in a very good machine.

If I had not had the recommendation i might have been tempted by the more complete systems that you can buy. I do like the idea of bolting a couple of items together and then starting printing. Having gone through the RepRapPro build I feel "more at one" with my machine and am excited by the prospects for customization and upgrades. For example I have moved my extruder drive and am thinking about making it multi color. I have also purchased a set of GT2 belts and pulleys which I may fit in the near future.

I am confident that I will be able to upgrade and adjust my Mendel to accomodate any future desires that I have and am very happy with my choice.
February 16, 2013 08:29PM
+1 for the RepRapPro Mendel.

I agree with everything Splashy said. I was a little hesitant to order from them due to the high shipping costs between England and the states, but I liked the 3 head printing expansion they are doing, and I went ahead and got one. I certainly don't regret it. I also found their customer support to be very responsive. One of the end stop switched was missing from my kit, and they sent it to me the same day I notified them of the problem.
February 17, 2013 08:59AM
A MendelMax could also be an option.
It's got a big build platform and a helpful and active user community.
I've got a 1.0, the current "stable" version is 1.5+, and the 2.0 is in beta testing.
You've got at least four different suppliers of parts in the US (for the 1.5 at least);
Maker's Toolworks, Trinity Labs, Lulzbot and Techpaladin.

I'm not sure about the availability of complete kits right now, but most parts from either supplier should work with parts from the others. Just make sure e.g. leadscrew nuts fit together with the printed parts if you decide to get stuff from different suppliers.

The X-axis is easily expandable, while the Y/Z need to be scaled together for the printed parts to work. It's already big though, so you may not need to.

I think Z resolution in most repraps is more determined by calibration than anything else. In X/Y your nozzle size will be the major thing to determin resolution, and that can be changed (at the cost of print speed).

The filament diameter is also changeable. Off the top of my head you'd need to change the hobbed bolt/drive gear, extruder body (could also be modified with a tube inset) and hot-end.

The thing speaking against the MendelMax might be multicolor (and possibly price). I don't think there are any readymade kits, but you could always print parts after the fact. Z-clearance at the top is not superb with a bulky extruder for the 1.0-1.5+, but if you go with a bowden setup that may not be an issue.

/Andreas
February 25, 2013 12:46AM
Thank you all for the replies. I was ultimately swayed by the 3 color RepRapPro kit that just came out, so I have one of those ordered. All of your advice and information was very helpful!
February 25, 2013 03:53AM
Please report on how they solved the oozing problem with three colors!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 25, 2013 09:11AM
Hey,

I just bought my first printer sets and im starting to build it once everything arrives!

My first printer is going to be REPRAP PRUSA MENDEL I2 (lm8uu version), i chose it because im told is basically the best thing to start with + huge community support behind it!
My vision is to build the pruse i2 now, and to improve it!

If you need help buying your kit, i can help you out! i managed to buy all the items needed for about 560$ INCLUDING shipping! so if you need a hand there i can give you directions for cheap BUT GOOD quality components for your printer.

When you finally chose your printer, please let me me know what your choice was!
March 07, 2013 12:43PM
My opinion may be biased but I have to say that the kit at NWRepRap.com is great for people getting into the hobby. The support is top notch, the price is great and every part of the kit is high quality!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 12:55PM by engineglue.
Hi PierreB,

I'm curious to learn more regarding what dealers you used to buy the parts.

I'm looking to build a kit and found a dealer from Singapore that sells kits for about $500, though would prefer to buy from US dealers if possible.

Thanks!
Hi,

Sorry, I meant Badmanjoe. Thanks.
April 17, 2013 11:50AM
Hi gk,

i got my items from different sellers, not one.. tis what cut the prices off. if you want a complete list of the sellers then PM me, and i will send you each item and the seller - i just dont want to advertise here smiling smiley
san
July 09, 2013 02:10AM
hello,

what about the Prusa Mendel i2 kit from mixshop

mixshop offers the kit without the plastic parts for just $439 dollars

I haven't tried them myself but the price seems decent for the same items as the printers mentioned above
July 10, 2013 01:55PM
For anyone else reading this thread trying to find suppliers, another U.S. supplier is makerfarm.com. I have ordered parts from them and hear thier kit is pretty good.
July 10, 2013 04:28PM
I just built ultibots.com's mendelmax 1.5 and I am very impressed with their kit. It comes with stuff I didn't even know I needed until I needed it. It is a all in one kit.... and Brad is awesome he called me from his cruse ship a few weeks ago while on vacation. Now that's customer service. Also his kits ship in days not weeks and is a USA based company out of Florida.

I built their kit with his zmax upgrade which adds like 4 inches to the build height. And it wasn't much more to add on.
July 10, 2013 04:36PM
twitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I built their kit with his zmax upgrade which adds
> like 4 inches to the build height. And it wasn't
> much more to add on.

You mean 100mm right? ; )
July 10, 2013 08:08PM
I can print 245mm high now basically replace the 4 aluminum uprights with 420mm ones and a few of the printed parts. Its on thingiverse as zmax by ultibots
July 12, 2013 05:10PM
I was poking fun at your referencing inches in a forum for a metric dominated device. ; )
July 12, 2013 07:21PM
appdev007 Wrote:
> I was poking fun at your referencing inches in a
> forum for a metric dominated device. ; )

Lmao hey go easy on me I'm new here. Stupid America with the teachings of the standard system..... even though metric is way easier....
July 14, 2013 11:06AM
twitch Wrote:
> appdev007 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Lmao hey go easy on me I'm new here. Stupid
> America with the teachings of the standard
> system..... even though metric is way easier....

Me too, don't worry you'll be calling out those mm in no time.

(Of course, being able to do so doesn't make hardware that size appear in our stores.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login