Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hot smileyFrustrated and confused

Posted by reprap_ed 
hot smileyFrustrated and confused
February 17, 2013 05:16PM
Hello repraper,
Lilke many I bought a kit and was hopeing to be able to start printing out some of my designs. Not so! After a few hardware problems which required returns I finally got it assembled, plugged in and I was ready to start. I have a prusa mendel V2 with a Sanguinololu 1.3a ATMEGA 1284P card. On it the is installed the boot loader and Marlin firmware. I downloaded arduino 1.0.3, teensyduino, pronterface and slic3r and installed them. I also installed the latest sanguino drivers. I selected my board and com port in arduino then ran ponterface. At first things looked promissing. I was able to head my bed and extruder, the temps read out, I could operate my extruder, but could only operate my axis's in one direction. This is where the problem started. My Z axis started driving down past my z stop and was pushing the printhead into my bed. I quickly switched the power off.
Now I have a problem. I can no longer communicate with my prusa. When I try to connect with pronterface it just hangs till I cancel it and then it gives me this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM10: [Error 5] Access is denied.

I have Python 27 installed, did that awhile ago when I was trying to learn programing, emphasis on trying. I have even restored my computer prior to install of all the reprap programs and tried a new setup. Still getting the above message. Please help.
Re: hot smileyFrustrated and confused
February 17, 2013 06:46PM
Hit the port button on pronterface and look at the refreshed list of ports. You might do this both before and after connecting the printer to see what's different. Choose the new port and it should be the printer.

I'm not sure how windows does it, but in Linux, USB ports can move around. If I disconnect and then reconnect the printer - which essentially happens every time the printer is turned off and then back on - my port moves between /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1. I assume something similar is happening to you. Pronterface remembers the port it previously connected successfully with, but that is no longer the port the printer is connected to.
February 18, 2013 09:36PM
Thanks for replying.

I have com port 10 before and after connection. I tried to reflash marlin on my board just to see if there is any communication and I get
In file included from /Marlin.h:37,
from cardreader.cpp:1:
/MarlinSerial.h: In member function 'int MarlinSerial::available()':
MarlinSerial.h:100: error: 'rx_buffer' was not declared in this scope
/MarlinSerial.h: In member function 'void MarlinSerial::write(uint8_t)':
MarlinSerial.h:105: error: 'UCSR10A' was not declared in this scope
MarlinSerial.h:105: error: 'UDRE10' was not declared in this scope
MarlinSerial.h:108: error: 'UDR10' was not declared in this scope
/MarlinSerial.h: In member function 'void MarlinSerial::checkRx()':
MarlinSerial.h:114: error: 'UCSR10A' was not declared in this scope
MarlinSerial.h:114: error: 'RXC10' was not declared in this scope
MarlinSerial.h:115: error: 'UDR10' was not declared in this scope
MarlinSerial.h:116: error: 'rx_buffer' was not declared in this scope

and return (unsigned int)(RX_BUFFER_SIZE + rx_buffer.head - rx_buffer.tail) % RX_BUFFER_SIZE;
in the script window.
February 18, 2013 11:22PM
Did you ever just try the reset button on the arduino, and restart your pc for good measure?
February 19, 2013 03:46PM
Reset my computer and the board several times. Figured out some of it last night. I had changed the COM port in the Config h. file to ten. So I reloaded the Marlin PDE, changed card type to 62 and was able to reload my card. So now I know arduuino talks to me sanguinololu but pronterface still doesn't talk to my printer. It tries, my servos make noises when I hit the connect button. I still get the error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM10: [Error 5] Access is denied.

But last night I got something else. In the printer interface dialogue box after the line that stated connecting……. I got lines of scribbles. Not code that I have seen before, just lines of unintelligible characters and symbols. I am going to try and reload pronterface again tonight and hope for the best unless someone has a good idea, cause I ran out of those once programming got involved.
February 19, 2013 04:51PM
The scribbles are becuase your board and prontorface are set at different baud rates.
February 19, 2013 04:57PM
Foshon,
Thanks for replying. All though that makes me confussed again, not hard for me lately, because I set the com port, pronterface and the config baud rate to 115200. Am I missing something or did I change something I shouldn't have?
February 19, 2013 05:07PM
Possibly, I would check your firmware, re-up it even just to be sure. I had the exact same issue 3 weeks ago.
February 19, 2013 09:47PM
Yep I messed up. I didn't correct the baud rate in the config h file prior to reloading. I am now communicating with my printer but now it displays Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

I am researching the code to see where this can be corrected. My extruder thermal sensor is reading 435c which has triggered the protection part of the program. I am hoping i don't have a bad extruder thermal sensor.

Thanks again for your help Foshon. Your comment made me relook over what I thought I looked at before. Eventually i will be able to calibrate this puppy so I can start printing.
February 19, 2013 10:55PM
This thread has some discussion of the same issue.
February 20, 2013 03:52AM
Your welcome. I'm glad I have learned enough to help someone else.

The thermistor setting is in the config.h, near the top. You'll see all the available pre-made table selections in grey followed by the area you actually set which one you want to use. I use a budashnozzle and it runs pretty close to perfect with "7" selected for the hotend. I purchased my bed thermistor off ebay and (while I did measure the resistance) I found option "6" to work the best for that.

Like the thread xclusive85 linked, your best bet is to figure out which thermistor you have and select it if it's there. If it's not, you can do what I did and use one thats close enough or go through the steps in python to make your own perfect custom one. I have done this a few times for Teacup, but I have not done it in Marlin.
February 20, 2013 10:54AM
Thanks to all for the help. This issue has been resolved. The fix for this was as follows:
I reloaded the Marlin Config h. file but did not change the com port setting, I left it at the default at 0.
Changed the baud rate in the Config h. file to 115200 which is the corresponds to my Prontface program and com port setting in the advanced setting tab in windows.
Selected the correct port and thype for my thermistors.
Reloaded Marlin and everything is working so far.
Now I have to perform the calibrations and fine tuning. So hopefully I will be printing by this weekend.
Cheers everyone.
June 10, 2015 12:52AM
reprap_ed
Thanks for replying.

I have com port 10 before and after connection. I tried to reflash marlin on my board just to see if there is any communication and I get

and return (unsigned int)(RX_BUFFER_SIZE + rx_buffer.head - rx_buffer.tail) % RX_BUFFER_SIZE;
in the script window.

what did you do to fix this because I am having this same problem
June 11, 2015 04:34PM
SoupCan
reprap_ed
Thanks for replying.

in the script window.

what did you do to fix this because I am having this same problem

bump for help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login