Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the highest Mendel Bed Temperature?

Posted by Core Storage 
What is the highest Mendel Bed Temperature?
February 25, 2013 08:36AM
RepRap Pro Mendel
Does anybody know what temperature the bed should be able to reach.
I can only just make 100degrees, which seems barely hot enough to stick ABS.
The power is delivered through the thick, probably around 2.5mm cable supplied with the Mendel pro kit
with a board terminal block voltage of 11.9v which should be high enough - I will check on the bed terminal end.
The ambient temperature is around 23 degrees
Is this normal?
Re: What is the highest Mendel Bed Temperature?
February 25, 2013 03:34PM
I recommend insulating the under-side of your heated bed, also any fans blowing across it will dramatically affect the temperature possible.
February 25, 2013 06:08PM
What's the total resistance at the board of the bed and it's wiring?
February 26, 2013 08:36PM
Hi, The resistance as measured at the pcb terminals is 1.6 ohms cold rising to 2 ohms at 70 deg. Voltage is not 11.9 I got that wrong, it's 11.4V on the pcb and 11.2 on the bed terminals. It falls another 0.2V with the hot end on. It draws 8.8 amps, so that's around 100 Watts which seems a bit low to me, for heating that sort of area.
The heater plate doesn't have any ratings written on it. And the PSU is rated at 12 Amps.
Any suggestions welcome, thanks.
February 27, 2013 11:25PM
The power supply is totally inadequate at 12A
February 28, 2013 05:10AM
If you insulate the bed bottom, you should be able to reach 105-110 degrees with 100 watts. That should be pretty optimal for ABS. I used self-adhesive high temp pipe insulation, commonly available from hardware stores...
March 05, 2013 04:13PM
Thanks Ttsalo and Konwiddak
That worked a treat, I couldn't find the self adhesive stuff you spoke of, so I used double sided carpet sticky tape, bubble wrap and silver foil. Now I can get it up to 215 and the abs sticks very well.
I had wanted to get it hotter than 100 because when printing multiple small objects the print head would often clip previously printed items whilst passing across the bed , making some come unstuck.
Thanks.
March 06, 2013 12:57AM
215? Are we talking Celsius or Fahrenheit here?
March 06, 2013 03:28AM
doh !! Sorry 115 celsius
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login