Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power supply help needed (yet another noob)

Posted by Mappy 
Power supply help needed (yet another noob)
March 02, 2013 02:04AM
So I went and bought a reprap kit. They couldn't supply the power supply that powers the whole thing due to some hulabaloo about country import laws.

The specs I need for the power supply is DC 12V 5Amps. I can't find that exact specs. I always seem to be able to find 4.5Amps or 5.5Amps and I'm getting pretty tired of running around the city looking for one.

Which one won't turn my reprap into a very expensive paperweight?
Re: Power supply help needed (yet another noob)
March 02, 2013 02:47AM
hmmm may i suggest you search around your locallity for an item like this.

[www.ebay.com]

its a normal pulse wave modulated power supply unit. it may come in varying ampere capacity flavors. it is a good idea to have something with higher amperage (approx 10A?)
March 02, 2013 03:01AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Looking at the link, I think I'll be able to find the power supply that they specified before I find something like that locally. Le-sigh...

Again, the company that I got the kit from specified 5Amps 12Volts DC, which they claim is how their board was configured. I'm no electrician, I'd just like to know if the 4.5amp or 5.5amp power supply turns my reprap into a coffee table ornament.
March 02, 2013 06:06AM
Higher voltage (i.e more than 12v) will cook your reprap board. But higher amp will make the system running more stable. With lower amp (i.e < 5A) there are chances that your machine might reset in middle of the run due to voltage fluctuation if someone got stuck during run.

You can use power supply from PC. They have 12v and 5v. Some new PC power supply can provide 12v with current as high as 20A or more.
March 02, 2013 06:19AM
Google 'ohm's law' and learn. Theres a fairly serious gap in your understanding of basic electronics. The amperage rating on a PSU is a statement of capacity. You can draw up to that current without problems. It is not a statement that that much current will flow, you can't damage electronics by attaching too large a supply. You can damage the power supply by asking too much of it though. Go with the 5.5A power supply you found. Note that this is enough to run the three axes and the extruder, for a heated bed you need closer to 20A.

The most readily available power supplies are ATX PSUs for computer use. Google will turn up many articles on modifying them for other uses.

Oh, and what country forbids the import of power supplies?
March 02, 2013 08:41AM

Oh, and what country forbids the import of power supplies?

Lots of countries require proof of the appropriate approvals to import power supplies. Lots of power supplies don't have genuine approvals, so may not get through customs.

For example the US require an FCC approval ID number.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login