Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

:: a question of scaling ::

Posted by redreprap 
:: a question of scaling ::
March 25, 2013 12:04PM
is there a overiding function on a firmware to affect over all printing scale?

if say you calibrated a printer to be X steps per mm travel. is there an additional function on the firmware to quickly change the master scaling of the print to 2x, 1.5x etc ?

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
Re: :: a question of scaling ::
March 25, 2013 12:27PM
isnt that normally done in the slicer?
March 25, 2013 01:00PM
lets say the gcode is already done to scale, and its not a sliced item (like PCB milling)

do we change the steps/mm for XYZ?

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
March 25, 2013 01:10PM
As you scale, you need to worry about extrusion width (or in the case of milling, the cutter width). It would also have to scale accordingly.
March 25, 2013 03:20PM
so, then it is possible to carry out a scaling adjustment at hardware level? yes?

jbernardis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As you scale, you need to worry about extrusion
> width (or in the case of milling, the cutter
> width). It would also have to scale accordingly.

March 26, 2013 03:00AM
No.

If you are extruding a width of .5mm, a 1mm wall would be two nozzle passes to fill, If scaled to 2mm, your gcode would still only contain the original two passes to fill at 1mm. So scaled by hardware to 2mm would now have a 1mm gap between the two passes.

Extrusion width would increase a bit with extruder scaling but you couldn't push enough filament to double the width and height.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 11:43AM by Dirty Steve.
March 30, 2013 05:25AM
mmm ok i get wad u mean.

unless, the nozzle also is scaled up. that would be interesting to see

Dirty Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No.
>
> If you are extruding a width of .5mm, a 1mm wall
> would be two nozzle passes to fill, If scaled to
> 2mm, your gcode would still only contain the
> original two passes to fill at 1mm. So scaled by
> hardware to 2mm would now have a 1mm gap between
> the two passes.
>
> Extrusion width would increase a bit with extruder
> scaling but you couldn't push enough filament to
> double the width and height.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login