Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermistor short, possible fried board, fix?

Posted by l51r8 
Thermistor short, possible fried board, fix?
March 29, 2013 04:09PM
My printer had been running fine, except for a slow filament leak at the hotend. While attempting to tighten the heater block around the nozzle, one end of the thermistor wire slid out of the not-so-crimped connector. The thermistor then shorted out, and blew.

I changed out the thermistor, and changed the config.h file for the new thermistor type. But I'm still getting this error in pronterface:

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0 RC2 _ FoldaRap #000
echo: Last Updated: FoldaRap / 2012-11-01 | Author: EmmanuelG
echo: Free Memory: 13803 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Using Default settings:
Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

I checked the resistance at the end of the wires, it's 102K ohms. Also, since the short, the bed thermistor is now only reading about 3 degrees. I've tried restarting and sending M999, but no change.

So I'm assuming the short fried something on the board? Does anyone know what to look for/how to fix this? Or if there is another possible solution? My board is a Azteeg X1 .
Thanks
Re: Thermistor short, possible fried board, fix?
March 29, 2013 06:02PM
Update:

The extruder thermistor actually seems to be working fine, when I disconnect and reconnect, the extruder temperature shows normal temperature for a second or two berfore the error occurs ands turns it to zero. So it's the bed thermistor that's now the problem. Anyone have any suggestions???
March 29, 2013 06:04PM
i had the same thing happen on my ramps 1.4, i had a cheap chinese arduino, i replaced it with the italian one and it works fine. i would contact the person who sold you the board and maybe have them send you a new one, or see if they can repair it. most likely the pcb is shorted out now, or the chip is bad.
March 29, 2013 07:07PM
hmm sounds like maybe a short still, see if there are any copper pieces of wire on the board, like the strands from stranded copper wire.
March 30, 2013 05:21AM
maybe its a contact, those pins etc. can u measure the resistance of the thermister from the pin on the ramps? if cant, see if u can solder 2 probe wires on the board, clip that 2 a meter. turn everything on, monitor that (direct soldered on).

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
March 30, 2013 08:21AM
Thanks for the help. When I measure the pins I see 4.5K on both the bed and extruder. I know that's pretty close to the 4.7K pull up resistors, I don't know what to make of that?
March 30, 2013 08:24AM
And I checked the back of the board for wire pieces or abnormalities, it looked like there was a lot of debris around the thermistor wires, I cleaned it off, unfortunately no change.
March 30, 2013 11:06AM
I was wrong, I changed the MINTEMP to zero, just so the printer would stop shutting down, and I could read the temperature signal pronterface was receiving. The extruder is showing 0.3 degrees, and the bed temp is still sitting at 3-5 degrees.

So...thermistor wires outside of terminals are reading fine approx 102K on each. Seeing 4.5K across both the e-trm and b-trm pins with the thermistors plugged in. And approx 4.7k across the pins when they're not.
Attachments:
open | download - therm wiring.jpg (16.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login