Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ATX PSU connections for RAMPS 1.4

Posted by matrix4721 
ATX PSU connections for RAMPS 1.4
April 24, 2013 08:00AM
Hey all, so all my electronics have arrived and just want to double check something with you, ive connected the PC Power supply to the ramps board with the +12V (yellow wire) and Ground (Black Wire) for both the 11a and 5a terminals, my question is, is this correct? im unsure about the amps bit, providing ive used the +12v and ground from the pc atx power supply in the correct polarity is it safe to power up? regards chris
Re: ATX PSU connections for RAMPS 1.4
April 24, 2013 11:34AM
It should be safe to power it up. Just make sure that your power supply can output at least 16 amps at 12V if you plan on using a heated bed.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 24, 2013 11:54PM
I wired mine with 1 yellow + 1 black on the 5A and 2 (different) yellow + 2 (different) black on the 11A with the pairs just twisted together. I'm sure different PSU's will be different. Remember that they are designed to run computers, not repraps so you may have to load down certain rails to get them to function properly. You might be better off just buying a 12v power supply. I happened to have a "broken" (bad 5vsb) one in my garage since I do computer repair work on the side so I used it. Otherwise, I would've just bought a good power supply (probably more than 12v though).
April 25, 2013 09:14AM
HI, thanks for your replies, ive connected the power and nothing popped which is very good, there is a heart beat light the flashes however there are 2 leds that seem to flicker on and off in line with the heatbeat, however they seem to come on / off when the board is moved, how many leds are supposed to be blinking when power is applied?
April 25, 2013 12:39PM
No lights should come on when just connecting the 12v unless you have your heaters/fan turned on.
April 25, 2013 07:08PM
Hi, thanks for your reply, turned out it was my fault, i thought i was being smart by placing the board on an anti static bag for protection, didnt realise that those bags are conductive, i ditched the bag and it works a treat smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login