Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cutting mcwire base boards.

Posted by Graxe 
Cutting mcwire base boards.
January 16, 2009 09:06PM
Hi all,
I found out my dad has a scroll saw and I am learning how to use it. I am going to cut my own set of mcwire boards. What I wanted to know is if there would be any interest if I cut several sets. Only problems with what I would be making are as follows: it would probably be made of plywood or mdf, and the quality might not be amazing to look at. (I am learning this as I go thats why). I'm in Ohio and could probably do this cheaply. I even have a countersink and could countersink the boards. I'm thinking this would be a cheap alternative to the lasercut version which I thought cost $125 countersunk.

Please let me know if there is any interest.
Thanks,
Greg
Re: Cutting mcwire base boards.
January 22, 2009 04:42PM
I'd be interested in a set. I was considering doing the same thing. If I were you I'd use mdf to make a set of perfect templates, then use double sided tape to stick an acrylic (or more mdf) piece on, then take it to a router table with a template bit, and finally to the drill press. You could whip out a couple sets an hour.

Acrylic is more expensive and looks nice, but I've seen people use a natural varnish or poly on mdf and it looked really good.
Re: Cutting mcwire base boards.
January 29, 2009 05:24PM
I'd be glad to make a couple of sets. I have plenty of mdf now because I bought a 4X8 sheet. Turns out the acrylic I have is like 1/10th of an inch so it is probably way to thin to use. I'll post here once I have a couple of sets made to see if there is still interest. Also I can be found in the reprap irc channel if needed.
Thanks,
Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login