Advanced

Rapman 3.1 3D

Posted by luigi 
Rapman 3.1 3D
June 02, 2013 01:22PM
Hello reprappers,

I might buy my RapMan for 200e from someone i know,

But i aint sure is it worth it ?
I mean like is Rapman a good 3D printer, or should i keep my money, and buy another one for some more money?
Also i wanted to ask if i can get a heated platform working on this printer?

After that i wanted to ask wich programs you use for such printers?

Thanks guys ^^

I am quiet new, So dont use to heavy words on me haha tongue sticking out smiley

Best regards,
DrLuigi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 05:21PM by luigi.
Re: Rapman 3.1 3D
June 03, 2013 05:48PM
I have been running a Rapman 3.1 for a while. If his machine is in good working order, then 200€ is not too bad for a working printer. Adding a heated bed shouldn't cost much, I have one made from aluminium plate and power resistors, sitting on MDF. A PCB heatbed would also be an option, although you would lose some X distance.

On the minus side, there are quite a lot of issues with the Rapman. The acrylic pieces are easy to break when tightening screws, and also break under fatigue stress. It is quite large and heavy, and the extruder/hotend is not capable of high speed. The electronics and firmware are closed source, AFAIK. BFB have now pulled the plug on support and the user forums, which were a good source of info.

There are however quite a few good modifications in the open domain, most are on Thingiverse I think.

The major modifications I have made are:
1. change electronics to one of Reprap boards
2. add heatbed
3. changed hotend

Minor mods include:
1. printed ABS extruder gears
2. printed Z gear

Overall, it has actually been quite reliable and problem free. Probably no worse than most of the Mendel kits out there, they all seem to require tinkering to get working well. Indeed, my "replacement" printer hasn't printed anything useful since I finished building it.

At least, you would have a working printer to print parts for a new one, or a source of rods, nuts and bolts to cannibalise.
June 04, 2013 12:11AM
Mhm i think i will just buy a Pursa I2 or wait for a I3,
Since she doesnt wanna take 200, but 400.
I can better then wait a bit and buy a kit later on tongue sticking out smiley
June 07, 2013 11:01AM
Just nvm this topic,
I started a new topic, since i am planning to just make a new one instead,

[forums.reprap.org]

Please gime some info there since i aint fully sure about sume things,

Thanks guys ^^
September 20, 2013 11:44AM
I have a rapman 3.1. I have had it for 1.5 years and I have been able to run one part. I can not get the z-axis to work. Replaced the control board, motor. Same problem. It turns free by hand. When power is applied it will try to move then it goes back and forth. Any ideas! I have a 2000.00 boat anchor.
January 15, 2014 07:48AM
Check out these problems that could be present individually or collectively.

Z belt over tightened / or motor pulley misaligned
Z rods misaligned causing the table to jam
Check that table at the lowest level sits on the lock nuts
A faulty Z limit switch, loose connections on the board or on the switch itself.
Regards,
Rob
January 15, 2014 07:49AM
Check out these problems that could be present individually or collectively.

Z belt over tightened / or motor pulley misaligned
Z rods misaligned causing the table to jam
Check that table at the lowest level sits on the lock nuts
A faulty Z limit switch, loose connections on the board or on the switch itself.
Regards,
Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login