Posted by SebastienBailard 
Things going on in the 3D printing world:
February 26, 2007 03:53AM
Someone's making a 3D printer that deposits granulated sugar:
[www.evilmadscientist.com]
via:
[www.makezine.com]

Also,

fab@home is selling kits for $2,850.00, or $400.00 for just the acrylic bits.
[www.kobask8.com]

-Sebastien
Re: Things going on in the 3D printing world:
February 26, 2007 04:31AM
On Monday 26 February 2007 04:15, Vik Olliver wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 03:51 -0500, Sebastien Bailard wrote:
> > fab@home is selling kits for $2,850.00, or $400.00 for just the
> > acrylic bits.
> > [www.kobask8.com]
>
> Well, for that much, people will be getting a complete RepRap kit. I'm
> warming to the idea of shipping those.
>
> Vik :v)

Do you mean to sell RepRap kits, or are you talking about building loaner
machines? Your email is ambiguous.

I've been daydreaming about an installation piece in a modern art museum,
start out with 16 repraps, end up with 256. Then send off 64 repraps to
other museums, and farm out the others as loaner machines to art schools,
hobby robotics groups, and people signed up for a loaner machine, etc. Maybe
the Tate or something. It might be a bit too high concept, or maybe
insufficiently high concept.

-Sebastien
February 27, 2007 05:10PM
I'd like to sell RepRap kits. The problem is in deciding when to start acquiring stock. Other than the money, of course, which is always a problem smiling smiley

Vik :v)
March 23, 2007 03:35PM
kits are definitely an excellent idea. i'm all for it. its nice because when you order in bulk like that, you can get some REALLY nice discounts. lets call that 'power of the crowds' add that in with the 'wisdom of the crowds' and you have a system where everyone is looking for (and sharing) the lowest price possible.

that is true market economy right there =)

it does create a decent amount of work, however. we need to compile parts lists for every different section, and keep those up to date. we also then need to compile a list of suppliers for each part, and keep that up to date. if anyone would like to help with this task, please let us know... it would really help out.

now that we're getting closer... i'm going to see if i can come up with a quick/dirty web-based db solution for us to create parts lists. that would really simplify things alot.
Anonymous User
March 25, 2007 04:38AM
I would buy a kit, so to speed up the date to the sale, email me with anything you need done. I have an extensive network of knowlageable HS students who im shure would be willing to help with any problems. my email is Cppdungeon@yahoo.com
Hi!

Anything new about reprap kits?

I think many people would be very interested in buying kits, especially, if they are complete kits - where you don't have to spend the next few months looking for the three parts that were not included.

Every business requires an initial investment, but with this one, i think you don't have to worry about not getting a return on your investment.

If there was such a kit available, i would immediately buy one. I don't have the time to look for and make the parts, but just assembling them would be no problem.

Igor
September 16, 2007 01:19PM
Hey Igor,

i'm definitely working hard on it. i'll have a decent estimate in a couple weeks when i know how some projects i'm working on turn out.
September 17, 2007 01:57PM
I'd definitely be interested in buying a kit myself. I'm a 3D artist, and I LOVE the idea of being able to make physical models of what I've modeled in 3D.

Other than buying a kit, where can I find detailed plans and parts list?
September 18, 2007 09:33AM
all of the plans for reprap are on [www.reprap.org], check under 'how to build darwin'
I would definately buy a kit and pay up to about
June 04, 2008 03:39PM
excellent please visit bits from bytes winking smiley

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
builder
June 04, 2008 06:28PM
Ian, does the BitsFromBytes laser cut parts include the plastic parts for the extruder?

If so, would it be possible to order just the HDPE tube and flexible drive screw parts of the extruder? (planning to buy just laser cut parts, and I got the worm drive motor already, just missing the metal parts and HDPE tube from the extruder.

Do you have any plans to create a version without the flexible drive shaft? It seems to be one of the things that break most.

Also, any status on releasing the drawings for the laser cut parts?

Thanks for getting the orders working again btw, and the laser cutout approach seems like a nice idea for repstraps.
June 05, 2008 04:40PM
The extruder design is a little different as soon as Cheltenham Festival is over I'll get back to blogging the design it doesn't use a flexible drive but the insulator (PTFE) is not a direct replacement with the current Darwin design

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login