Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to change coodinates system in firmware?

Posted by pdesigns 
How to change coodinates system in firmware?
August 09, 2013 04:22PM
Hi guys,

I´m trying to learn more about how the firmware works on the coordinates aspects.

What do one needs to do to change a Cartesian firmware like Marlin or Repetier and make it to work with printers like Rostock and Morgan?

Where do we insert the new math and what other aspects do we need to consider changing?

just trying to learn a bit more winking smiley

Cheers
Paulo Gonçalves
Re: How to change coodinates system in firmware?
August 09, 2013 05:27PM
Hi Paulo,

When I worked on the corexy support in marlin, most of the modifications were made in the file "planner.cpp". Additionally there were some modifications in "stepper.cpp" to correct the endstops as well. Deltas use a "higher level" implementation done in marlin_main (see this: https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/blob/Marlin_v1/Marlin/Marlin_main.cpp#L901).

Hope that helps to get you started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 06:33PM by iquizzle.
August 09, 2013 05:51PM
Tanks,

Its a starting point. I have many hours in front of me to understand how things are connected in the firmware, so any guidance is more than welcome winking smiley
August 10, 2013 07:43PM
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

I think the transform function for Rostock is the function calculate_delta() at [github.com]. It looks like Pythagoras equation is used?

There is also some info at [reprap.org]. It would be good to have a wiki page describing how this works, if I understood it I would write it smiling smiley
August 10, 2013 09:10PM
i also have been looking at the rostock marlin adaptation and comparing it to the the mendel version trying to understand what was needed to change.

but the more i look the less i´m feel like i have any skill to change it sad smiley

Besides the design that its on my mind would require me to divide the print area in two, with a positive and a negative side, and when the hotend would move from one to the other the Y and X would need to invert direction..i have to look at some solution for this!

Other then that it would just be a simple calculation for just one axis (X) and the others would need no adaption besides the -/+ parts on the print bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login