Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

power supply

Posted by zambianBeng 
power supply
August 19, 2013 12:20PM
wanted to find out what the minimum wattage required for a configuration running a RAMPS 1.4 variant, 5 stepper motors (nema 17) , extuder heater at 35W, and a heater bead , all running at 12 V
Re: power supply
August 19, 2013 03:22PM
Depends on the power draw of your heated bed. A standard PCB heated bed draws ~10 amps, and the rest draws another ~6 amps. You can get away with a 16 amp power supply, but a 20+ would be better, especially if you are getting a cheap Chinese one as they tend to be over-rated.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 19, 2013 03:32PM
thanks a lot, would you recommend any
August 23, 2013 11:30PM
On this topic, can anyone please confirm that I can run the heated bed off a different power supply from the rest of the electronics? Presumably, using a solid state relay I can.

Also I have read that microstepping works more reliably if I supply the stepper motors with 24 volts.
In this case are the driver boards themselves fed with 24 volts, are they designed to cope with that, or where is the boundary between the 12v supply for the electronics, and the 24v supply for the motors?

In theory, I could make my setup work with 3 different power supplies - some of which I may already possess - rather than shell out fresh money for one high-current one?
August 24, 2013 12:17AM
Would you consider Dell a good PSU? I switched to one from a cheapo and even though the dell was rated at 16 amps too, it wasn't enough. After using both supplies my, cheapo on heat bed and dell on rest my printer finally stopped skipping steps, started extruding more consistently, and had smoother prints. After that I was able to identify hardware issues and fix them. I now am able to make acceptable quality prints.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login