Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mc-wire cartesian bot 1.2 - y-stage issue

Posted by jay 
jay
Mc-wire cartesian bot 1.2 - y-stage issue
June 03, 2009 12:52AM
Hello,

I am making a mc-wire 1.2 cartesian bot, and during assembly of y-stage, I am finding that bearing arm on y-stage is touching the x-stage such that y-stage does not lie perfectly flat on aluminum rails.
I tried removing the washers from the bearing arm but still the whole thing does not look robust (now the bearing arm is interrupting the whole motion of y-stage).

Please help me here. If you have pics or some info on what might be going wrong? I used the parts from mc-carr based on BOM. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Re: Mc-wire cartesian bot 1.2 - y-stage issue
June 03, 2009 02:59AM
are you using laser cut acrylic from rrrf? I chose to cut my own to avoid problems like this.
June 03, 2009 05:45AM
Because my McWire-alike is (being) built with MDF, and because I'm not using skate bearings, my bearing arm assembly is deeper than the original. I have put extra strips of MDF below the rails to lift the stage higher.
See the photo's page on my blog: [http://copycatbot.blogspot.com/]

Hope this helps.
Hazel.
jay
June 06, 2009 06:35PM
Thanks Hazel,

I used your idea of putting extra strips in to raise the bed. Also, I realised this could have been achieved by putting extra washer below the y-stage rails.

Thanks,
Now I have other issues, like my holes are not aligned (almost all now), so have to rehole at right place.....lol...thats minor compared to what can be achieved....
Hey any idea if we need 2 vertical base or just one should be enough. Yes, I got the acrylic parts from rrrf.

Anyways, thanks everyone.

Take care,
Jay
June 24, 2009 04:39PM
I think only one vertical base is really necessary. Using two will give you more rigidity, which is probably necessary if you are using the bot to machine instead of print. I am just using one at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 04:41PM by Cameron MacLachlan.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
jay
June 26, 2009 12:48AM
HEllo Cameron,

Thanks for the input. I did the same, had to hold off the other board for future use. I think, a lot can be improved add looking forward that you will capture those details in your blog. I literally have to double hole each rails just cause I skipped some steps...lol...

Good luck.....Where did you get your HDPE from?

Thanks,
Jay
July 12, 2009 04:48PM
The drill holes on both my X, and Y stages did not line up with the rails, so I had to redrill them.
I will update the DXF file and post it.
We should make a McWire 1.3 page with all the improvements people are finding. I talked to Zach the guy who made the McWire 1.2 page and he said he was no longer working on it.
July 12, 2009 05:57PM
Here is the .DXF file with the corrected drill holes.
Please look over the DXF and tell me if there is anything wrong. One item I need to fix is the notches in the side I am not sure what these are for perhaps endstops, perhaps something to reduce crack propagation? I'm not sure perhaps some of the knowledgeable people on this forum can shed some light on this.

Also in the version 1.3 the screws to attach the PTFE strips should be Self Tapping Screw 10-24 x 3/8. The version 1.2 parts list says they should be 3/4" long.
Attachments:
open | download - XYstage.DXF (450.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login