Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parts don't fit

Posted by conscripted 
Parts don't fit
September 15, 2013 10:07PM
So what do you do when the parts your purchased to build your first printer don't quite fit?

I'm self sourcing a Mendel90. I got my printed parts. I'm attempting to put them together however none of the printed parts seem to work the way I expected. I can't get the bolts in the bolt holes. I can't get the nuts in the nut holes. I can't get the 608 bearing in the extruder. Not sure what to do.

Any advise?

Conscripted
Re: Parts don't fit
September 15, 2013 10:18PM
You can drill out the holes with a twist drill but the nut traps will need a hot nut pushed into them to enlarge the recess.

September 16, 2013 09:17PM
Agreed. There is a common misconception that 3d printed parts come out like they were made from molds. All parts that are fdm will usually require a little finish work. A lot of the holes you will want to drill out a little bit smaller than the actual bolt going in it. Good luck on the build.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
September 17, 2013 05:41AM
They come out the right size when I print them with Skeinforge. Other slicers don't give accurate dimensions, There is a calibration STL to check the holes size and nut traps etc before printing the parts. Whoever printed yours should have used it to get them right.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 17, 2013 09:18AM
I'll make another attempt to assemble it all this weekend. My first goal is just to get the extruder built. I still haven't gotten all of the pieces I need but I want to have something completed. It's all been a box of parts for to long.

How tight are the bearing supposed to be in the extruder?

Thanks for the information.
September 17, 2013 09:39AM
It may be worth your while to invest in some tools to make the parts fit.

Recommended tools:

- Files
- X-acto knife
- Reamer
- 1/8" drill bit can be substituted for 3mm holes
- 5/32" drill bit can be substituted for 4mm holes
- 8mm drill bit for 5/16" holes (you don't want to use 5/16" drill bits to insert 8mm smooth rods)
- Mask if you need to sandpaper the parts down, especially if it's ABS.

You should be able to press fit the bearings into the extruder without much effort. I use the back end of the X-Acto knife blade to remove plastic off the edges and sandpaper the rest down.
September 17, 2013 03:11PM
gyronictonic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may be worth your while to invest in some tools
> to make the parts fit.
>
> Recommended tools:
>
> - Files
> - X-acto knife
> - Reamer
> - 1/8" drill bit can be substituted for 3mm holes
> - 5/32" drill bit can be substituted for 4mm
> holes
> - 8mm drill bit for 5/16" holes (you don't want to
> use 5/16" drill bits to insert 8mm smooth rods)
> - Mask if you need to sandpaper the parts down,
> especially if it's ABS.
>

Files and exacto I have. 1/8 and 5/32 drill bits no problem. 8mm drill bit I don't have. I'll have to mail order I believe. Sandpaper was going to be my next attempt. I really appreciate all the advice.

Conscripted.
September 18, 2013 11:19AM
The statement that 3D printed parts aren't suppose to be ready to use without modifications disturbs me. I have built a prusa i2 and have finally got the printer running well enough that I feel it's worthy of printing parts to give to others. I just printed my first parts kit. All threaded rods fit into the holes snuggly with out alteration. All smooth rod holes are of appropriate diameters. All bolt holes allow the propped screw size to fit with only a slight push.

Now, but traps. Ones printed horizontal are fine, vertical ones still require modification, but not hot nut. An exacto knife on the top is usually all that is needed. To this end, I say my printer still needs work. I don't just accept this as the way it is.

Based on the crappy plastics kit I got off eBay, other things I have read, and post to this forum, I believe there is an issue with people not working on their printers long enough before beginning to distribute prints.

Don't accept imperfect prints as the norm!!!
September 18, 2013 12:01PM
I not saying by any means that you should accept sub-par prints. I'm just saying that a lot of people buy a printer and then automatically start printing off parts and open up an eBay shop like they are a mass manufacturer. Also there is a huge misconception that printed parts come out finished like a set of Legos, finish wise. Specifications of the parts should be accurate. I'm more referring to a few holes here and there that might need to be reamed as well as some nut traps/recesses that might have some extra plastic that needs to be removed.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login