Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

omg! i got a new reprap and im not a tech-guy at all...

Posted by opwellness 
omg! i got a new reprap and im not a tech-guy at all...
September 29, 2013 05:17AM
so I got a reprap prusa on craigslist after seeing a bunch of stuff on youtube. I have next to NO technical capabilities. after a bunch of research, talking to the previous owner, forums, and two weeks of my 500$ machine just sitting, I have downloaded WINGS, REPLICATOR G, The GITHUB program, PYTHON, and maybe a few other things with not a single change.

My chicks dad is an electrician and I looked up the wire diagram on reprapwiki, so im pretty sure its right. I was told to download the arduino 0023 along with sprinter by the guy that used to own it. it is an arduino mega 2560 rev3 (I believe) but im not sure. I have tried downloading the correct firmware from reprap.org and github.com.

I am so lost its not even funny and all I want is this machine to work! Someone please help!!
Re: omg! i got a new reprap and im not a tech-guy at all...
September 29, 2013 07:07AM
hi,
you read this about software setup I like marlin over sprinter " for no other reason I not used sprinter >grinning smiley<"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 07:16AM by jinx.
September 29, 2013 08:43PM
Your best option is to get a local guy to help if possible.

September 30, 2013 05:38AM
I heard that marlin is better. the problem is, I keep downloading ardiuno0023, sprinter, marlin, and many other files but have no idea where to go from there. I even found a "how to" video on what to do with arduino and marlin once they are both.... I don't even know how to say it, merged maybe. they keep ending up their own separate files and when I went to create the shortcut for arduino it says..."could not find the main class: processing.app.Base. program will exit!" I followed the directions as best I can understand and my deal just doesn't look the same. the marlin files appear below his arduino0023 and mine doesn't.

how do I find someone locally? I really do need some help! My buddy is coming out tomorrow that is a bit more technically inclined and he has a cnc machine, but honestly, it would be SOOO SATISFYING if I could figure this out myself! I have never put SO MUCH EFFORT in to something and not been able to figure it out. If for some reason my engineer buddy cant figure it out, I have exhausted all my options. At this point, I'm wishing I had gotten a plug and play makerbot or something like that!
September 30, 2013 06:39AM
Ok, you have Arduino 0023 - that's fine. Keep the Sprinter file (and Marlin if you prefer) Delete python etc.

Follow the link below and d/load the Windows file (if you are using Windows) - the one marked 12 July will do.
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Make a directory on your PC called 3D software (or whatever) and put the downloaded zip file in there (also your firmware and Arduino s/w). Unzip the downloaded file and open the folder.

Right click on the Pronterface.exe file and drag a shortcut to your desktop. You can also use Repetier later. You will also notice a copy of Slic3r in there - you can update that later.

Plug the Arduino into your PC USB port - ignore the message “Found New Hardware Wizard” and,Select “No, not this time” and manually browse to the Arduino/drivers folder to select your 2560 - ignore the Windows logo warning about installing it. Then click "finish"

Next, go to "Device manager" in Control Panel and scroll down to Ports - you should see your Arduino there. Right click it, select "Properties", (noting the COM port that's been assigned to it) then change the "Bits per second" to 115200.
** The procedure will be similar for Windows 7**

Ok, finally, go to your folder "3D Software" "Arduino/0023" and fire up Arduino.exe Click "File" "open" and browse to the Sprinter or (marlin) folder and select the .pde file (e.g. Sprinter.pde. You can now edit the firmware before uploading to the Arduino board.

Let us know if you get that far..smileys with beer

October 01, 2013 07:32AM
I think I have gotten everything... except one! appreciate your help cuz it was super helpful, however I had already found a video on youtube saying pretty much the same thing. the driver keeps failing to update. did I hook it up wrong or is there just some sort of issue?
October 01, 2013 07:58AM
ya the device is recognized but as an Ethernet cable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login