Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface setting 200 deg default

Posted by gregted 
Pronterface setting 200 deg default
October 07, 2013 01:14AM
Hey all,

Just had to reinstall my printer after a laptop meltdown, grrrr, and am having a problem with my pronterface setting the temp of 200 on the hotend regardless of my setting in sli3er.

I have changed the setting in sli3er to 230 and it is the same when i close and reopen the program but when I click print, it reduces to 200 and tries to print at which point I shut down the print job.

It never did this before and I can't seem to get it to accept the new settings.

The temp in options under pronterface is reading 230 for abs so it should be ok.

Any help appreciated.

Greg
Re: Pronterface setting 200 deg default
October 07, 2013 02:42AM
I change slicer to Nothing, I delete those inputs and manually change it via pronterface
If i do put those inputs in, my temp takes a long time to settle, most of the time it wont even start due to my shitty gen 6 electronics
October 07, 2013 06:12AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have changed the settings in sli3er to zero but it doesn't seem to be reading the settings.

The only way I can get a print is to generate the g code in sli3er and save and then load this g code or pause the print at the start and set the hot end to 230 and then continue.

I don't know why but pronterface doesn't seem to read the settings at startup.

I have saved the new settings as config in sli3er and this is where pronterface looks for the sli3er settings when I click on settings in pronterface so I don't know what else to do.
October 07, 2013 05:22PM
Pronterface doesn't care what settings you have, it simply sends the gcode you give it to send. So, you need to get slic3r to generate gcode with the correct temperatures. No idea how you do that, check the slic3r manual or wait for someone who uses slic3r to come along.
October 08, 2013 05:21PM
In Slic3r config under the filament setting there are inputs for the first layer and all other layer temperature settings.

[manual.slic3r.org]
October 09, 2013 02:51PM
I'm also having this problem. I tried changing the settings in slic3r and it still drops the nozzle temp to 200 before it will print. I manually opened the config file and changed the values, but still, no cigar.

When I print, I must wait for the nozzle to start moving, then I reset the temp back to 225. I'm using the 12July 2013 version of Pronterface.
October 09, 2013 04:02PM
Do you have a command like M109 200 near the beginning of your Gcode ?
October 10, 2013 02:44AM
Only command at start of gcode is G28; home all axis.

Another reason I think pronterface is not reading sli3er is when I downloaded pronterface, it had a command at the start something like G1 Z5 S5000. This caused the print head to retract about 10mm until the temp reached 200 and then it would return to the table and start to print.

I removed this comment line and pronterface still does this command.

I'm wondering if pronterface is looking for another version of slic3r at another location.

If I go pronterface, settings, and use plater to generate a gcode, then load the gcode all is fine and the print behaves as saved but if I load a file and then print from pronterface gui, the print reverts to retract print head and print at 200c.

My C: drive folders are Pronteface\Slic3r\slic3r.exe.

When I enter pronterface settings, the command console states Entering slicer settings, Slic3r\slic3r.exe.
but I don't know where it is looking for that copy of gcode on my hard drive.

Curiouser and curiouser....
October 10, 2013 05:44AM
Have you looked in Pronterface Settings??

There are several entries there relating to Slic3r, in particular there is an entry called 'sliceconfig' which points to the profile that your installation of slic3r is using. By default, on Windows, slic3r uses the hidden directory c:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r for this (note that in in the sliceconfig parameter you have to use FOREWARD slashes (i.e. '/' not the windows convention of BACKWARD ones (i.e. '\')).

Hope this goves you a clue.

Harvey
October 10, 2013 09:27AM
Thanks HarveyC.

I found that directory and the settings saved in the ini files are what I have set in pronterface but pronterface is not reading those settings from the console.

If I open a file under plater and then save the gcode file and load that file all is good.

However if I load a file directly into pronterface and print, the print turns out with the parameters that were in the original downloaded slic3r and not my changed parameters. Eg. 200c and raise print head before printing.

It's not impossible to print this way, just annoying when it didn't happed before my crash..
October 11, 2013 05:40AM
Another thought...

Pronterface stores its settings in a file called .pronsolerc, its a text file without an extension. If there is one in C:\User\{user} it uses that by default, but if this one is not present it will use one located in the same directory as the one that holds pronterface.exe. If both are prersent it uses the one in c:\user\{user} ( I got caught out by this recently!).

Might be worth having a look in both places and checking what they contain.

Harvey
November 28, 2013 03:06PM
Any solutions to this 200 degree set problem, its my latest stumbling block. At 200 deg my hotend is too slow to extrude and the hobbed bolt shreds the filament. its v. annoying. heat to 230, click print and it lowers the temp to 200. ? pretty sure this is a pronterface issue
November 28, 2013 05:04PM
Back to the start:

Pronterface and Slic3r are two separate programs. Both *can* set the temperature. When you set the temperature of an idle printer, you do it with Pronterface. When you set the temperature of a print, you do it with Slic3r. You do not set print temps in Pronterface. You don't set idle temps with Slic3r. The only connection between the two programs is the gcode file you generate with Slic3r and load into Pronterface. Changing settings in one program has no immediate impact at all on the other program. The only time Slic3r uses any of it's information is when it generates new gcode and you save the gcode file. The only time Pronterface does anything with the Slic3r stuff is when if feeds the gcode file to your printer. It does not set or reset anything, it just feeds the file to the printer.

If you download gcode from someplace on the net, who knows what's in the file. It may do all sorts of odd things. You would need to look at the entire file to see what it's doing. It could have been generated to do almost anything. Gcode is very flexible.
November 28, 2013 05:31PM
smiling smiley Thanks, more searching has revealed that slic3r uses a default 200 degree setting. Sorry pronterface for inaccurate accusations! I;ll make sure I do my share of passing info to newbies to help repay the community, if and when my machine finally prints something. We live in hope.
November 28, 2013 06:13PM
Your print settings go in Slic3r. You can set a first layer temperature and a temperature for the rest of the layers. You can set both the hot end and the heated bed temperatures that way. The settings are on the filament settings tab under filament.
May 30, 2014 10:10AM
HarveyC
Another thought...

Pronterface stores its settings in a file called .pronsolerc, its a text file without an extension. If there is one in C:\User\{user} it uses that by default, but if this one is not present it will use one located in the same directory as the one that holds pronterface.exe. If both are prersent it uses the one in c:\user\{user} ( I got caught out by this recently!).

Might be worth having a look in both places and checking what they contain.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey.

I don't have a file of that name in my directory under user..user. or in my pronterface directory either.

Guess I'll keep looking...

Thanks anyway all for the help.

Greg
June 03, 2014 10:25AM
Hi all
New here
I got here as I was having the same problem with 200 deg as default with slicer and pronterface
I also had Repieter installed it also uses slicer but had a newer version of slicer
pronterface had 1.0.0.58
Repieter had 1.0.0.59
I copied slicer from Repieter to pronterface replacing all files and presto no more 200 deg default
I have also downloaded the latest slicer 1.0.1.63 from their site and will give that ago asap an report back

cheers repstrap
June 03, 2014 05:00PM
check your firmware settings and maybe if lcd eeprom settings if your printers firmware is sett at 200 or even eeprom(unsure) but you can send 230 but the firmware will restrict it 200

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 03, 2014 11:10PM
Hi again all

I have installed the lastest slicer into pronterface with no problems so far
I unzipped the stable version of slicer and copied the slicer directory an pasteded it to pronterface replacing the exsisting slicer directory
I also check gcode with edit in pronterface an adjust if necessary

cheers repstrap
June 04, 2014 09:05PM
Under settings, options, user interface tick 2 boxes at the top. Enable Slic3r integration and Update slic3r default presets. Restart pronterface. You will now have a new menu item at the top that says slic3r. This will show you what your current settings are and when you change anything in slicer and save it as my settings for example, it will be saved as current settings.

The odd thing now is that my sd print starts and pauses until the hot bed reaches 110 but will not set the hotend temp. I have to have this set before I start the sd print.

Wouldn't be any fun if it was easy, right...
February 02, 2015 02:23AM
Make sure you click the save button under each tab to save your settings before exporting your gcode. (see attached image)

Hopefully that will solve the issue. It did for me.

Tyson
Attachments:
open | download - slic3r_save_setting.jpg (69.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login