Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3mm Bowden -- What size tube?

Posted by TopherMan 
3mm Bowden -- What size tube?
October 22, 2013 03:17PM
Hey all,

Working on switching over to a bowden setup in anticipation of my Rostock. Since I already have a 3mm hotend and a big pile of 3mm filament, I'd like to stick with it. I've found some good adapters on Thingiverse, but the one thing that has been unclear is what diameter PTFE tube to get. Some places recommend 3mm ID/5mm OD, and some say 4mm ID/6mm OD. Does anyone have suggestions one way or the other? My gut tells me that 3mm would have less hysteresis on retracts, but might be liable to sticking.

Thanks,
Chris
Re: 3mm Bowden -- What size tube?
October 22, 2013 03:20PM
If your filament diameter never exceeds 2.9mm or so, then 3mm tube would probably work. For my next printer which will be bowden, I got 1/8in (3.175mm) tube. 4mm would probably introduce a lot more hysteresis than you would otherwise have.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
October 22, 2013 03:28PM
Oooh, good thinking. Slight incompatibilities between metric and imperial is helping instead of hurting for once!
October 23, 2013 05:22AM
Folks,

Has anyone a recommendation for suppliers of 2 mm ID PTFE tube in Europe? I can find 25 Metre lengths but all I want is a single metre!

Best regards,

Philip Mac Cabe
Irish, Retired and loving it.
woo
October 23, 2013 08:45AM
metric ptfe from ebay-china.

i had a hard time to get 3.2 ID tube.
October 26, 2013 10:30PM
where did you manage to get your 1/8" tube? i'm assuming its a 1/4" OD 1/8" ID, like the PTFE Liner in the PEEK of a J-Head. I'm in canada and i've only found one supplier in the UK on ebay and its NOT cheap.
October 27, 2013 12:11AM
Hmm, here in the states McMaster is my choice. I don't know what their Canadian shipping cost is, or if there's a Canadian counterpart.
woo
October 27, 2013 04:35AM
I got it free from croatian fablab guy. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login