Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ways stop hotend seepage?

Posted by cat.farmer 
ways stop hotend seepage?
November 22, 2013 01:14PM
I am just finishing up my build, and pushed some PLA last night for the first time. It of course jammed and I had to disassmble the hot end. I found there was PLA in the threads, and wondered if this was part of the jamming problem.
My question is other then Teflon tape, are there other methods to seal the hotend? Is there a type of O ring or washer that can be placed in side the heat block that can stand the 200+C temps?
Yes I know the best answer is to get a good hotend from a good supplier, and that may be my ultimate answer, but if one more package shows up at my house for this printer, my wife is going to shoot me..

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 01:15PM by cat.farmer.
Re: ways stop hotend seepage?
November 22, 2013 03:32PM
A picture of your (dismantled) hot end would help.

November 22, 2013 05:42PM
Brute force when putting things together is one option, teflon tape is another option. Simply deciding your hot end is defective and replacing it is the third. Some hot ends have known leak issues. With others it's s sign that something is significantly wrong.
November 23, 2013 11:30PM
Thanks for the input. Bruteforce seemed to be the answer. I was a little fearful of twisting off the brass nozel, but it worked.. still oozes a little, but it stopped jamming. I also had to take some 600 grit sandpaper and smooth out the inside of my stainless barrel. The parts i bought were less then perfect and i may end up getting a new hotend before long. But today was a good day.
November 24, 2013 10:37AM
One minor advantage of brute force is that the nozzle is in good thermal contact with what ever it's screwing into. It also keeps things from coming unscrewed under vibration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login