Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

copper mendle

Posted by dissidence 
copper mendle
September 30, 2009 05:29AM
i am looking into building a reprap out of copper pipe, i want to build it like the new mendle design, i think that would be a good one to start with, have many people had any issues with 1/2 copper pipe.?confused smiley

and i was wondering if anyone has tried to modify a hot glue gun to make an extruder with.?hot smiley

i am also looking to find a good cad program to use, i was hoping to be able to use sketchup put i dont think it is the right file format for the rep rap softwaresmiling bouncing smiley
VDX
Re: copper mendle
September 30, 2009 05:33AM
... look here: [dev.forums.reprap.org] for a hot_glue_gun-repstrap winking smiley

Viktor
September 30, 2009 02:55PM
I have understood that copper is pretty expensive. A quick search on McMaster showed me that steel rods were cheaper then copper pipe of the same diameter and length.

If you have the copper pipe, the go for it. But the steel rod would be stronger and deflect less.

I am planning on using SolidWorks as my 3D modeling software. It is not cheap to buy, but SolidWorks tends to give away free copies for a lot of reasons. If you are a university student, part of any non-profit organization, or somehow related to education at all you can get free copies. I would find out who your local VAR (Value Added Reseller) is and give them a call and see if you can get a free copy.

I have used a lot of CAD packages and in my opinion, SolidWorks is by far the best.

my two cents,
Josh
September 30, 2009 03:55PM
i am thinking copper because it is more redly available where i live and all i can find for ready rod is just short pieces that i would need you buy a few of, thats why i am thinking about going with copper,
September 30, 2009 07:58PM
I think the copper pipe might work. The Mendel design doesn't look like there is a great deal of load on the shafts. But I think your two main issues would be

1. Deflection in the shafts that support that carriage (extruder, or whatever everyone is calling it), as well as the other axis that supports the table. If there is sag in the middle it will not print parts well.

2. The treaded rod is used to connect the parts together, so if you use copper pipe, you will need to figure out how to connect it without using bolts. So you will need to modify the design a little.

Have you thought about ordering the rod? www.mcmaster.com sell everything you need

Josh
September 30, 2009 08:09PM
i am thinking of using the copper pipe for mainly the wedge of the body then just doing the rest in what ever i can find what i was going to do for the mounts was just use a T fitting, with a cap at one side with a nut soldered to it so that i could mount stuff that way
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login