Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heatbed mystery

Posted by TheLizards 
Heatbed mystery
December 20, 2013 01:29AM
Hello,

I have been trying to get all the kinks worked out of my machine before I run any plastic through it, and after a second "rebuild" I am at a loss of what has happened to my heatbed. I am using an arduino mega 2560 with sprinter and pronterface.

Currently, the heatbed will not get hot. As I understand it, there is one LED on the arduino for the extruder, and one for the heatbed. When I turn on the extruder heat, it heats up to the appropriate temp and TWO LEDs turn on the board. When I turn off heat to the extruder, the LEDs go out. When I turn on heat to the bed, NO LEDs turn on and the bed does not heat up. When trying to turn on heat to the bed and the extruder, both LEDs turn on but only the extruder gets hot. The thermistors are reading correct values in the bed and the extruder, when I hold a lighter close to the therm in the bed, pronterface shows the temp increasing.

The extruder and bed were heating correctly during my first attempt to get everything working, but I had to disassemble the wiring etc to fix a few things. I have reconnected everything and now the heatbed is not heating.

Please help! I don't know what changed between my first and second assembly attempt but this is the only thing not working now. Thank you for any insight.

-Mason
Re: Heatbed mystery
December 20, 2013 07:11AM
My guess is that your heated bed is hooked up to the wrong pins. It's also possible that your heated bed is shorted. A DVM is your friend in cases like this. If you don't have one already, they are a $30 isn sort of Christmas gift.
December 20, 2013 12:05PM
Thanks uncle bob,

So if there is no voltage coming off of the board where the heatbed is connected to I can assume it is hooked up to the wrong pins? Is that something I would change in the Configuration.h file? Sorry a lot of the arduino/programming stuff is new to me. Right now the bed is connected to D10 and extruder to D8 which is how it was the first time. Thanks for your help
December 20, 2013 12:06PM
Sorry extruder is on D10 and bed on D8
December 20, 2013 02:03PM
There are two pins right by the D8 and D10 markings. One pin goes to the +12 via a PTC (yellow) fuse. The other pin goes to the MOSFET switch that does the control. The heated bed or hot end goes between the pins.

[www.nextdayreprap.co.uk]

If you have the wrong main board set in configuration.h or have messed with pins.h then things could be coming out on the wrong pins. If you have your thermistor plugged in the wrong place or the maxtemp setting wrong that also would keep things from working right.
December 20, 2013 05:14PM
Do you have power connected to both inputs on the ramps? the 2nd 12v input is for the heatbead.
December 20, 2013 05:47PM
Yes I have power connected to both 11A and 5A terminals. When I turn on heat to the bed through pronterface LED2 (red) comes on so I can assume power is getting to the board through the 11A terminal (is this right?). How would I test if my heatbed is shorted? Should I just test with a voltmeter if power is getting to the D8 terminal, and if so the bed is shorted? Thanks
December 20, 2013 07:44PM
Disconnect the heat bead and check for 12v at D8. Check the resistance on the heatboard leads. Should be in the 1 to 2 ohm range. If those are ok then it should work. Not sure if the led is run from the arduino or is run off the mosfet..my guess is the arduino if that is the case it would not mean you get 12V at D8, only that it is signaling the mosfet to turn on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2013 07:48PM by cat.farmer.
December 20, 2013 11:01PM
The LED is connected to the output of the MOSFET on a normal Ramps board.

-----------

In the top post in this thread - no LED's came on when the heated bed was enabled. Now we seem to have an LED coming on when the heated bed is enabled - what's changed? Does the bed work now?
December 21, 2013 08:45AM
Thanks for the clearifacation Uncle Bob. I knew I should have looked at the schematic.
December 22, 2013 06:05PM
I got my hands on a multimeter. When the heatbed is enabled, LED2 is ON (my mistake from the original post), and I'm getting about 23 volts from D8. When the extruder heat is enabled I'm also getting about 23 volts from D10. When testing the resistance on the disconnected heatbed, nothing happens. So after all that I guess I have a shorted heatbed? Is that a common occurrence? Thanks
December 22, 2013 06:30PM
Hmmm. My power supply is labeled 12V 20A, but seems to be outputting close to 24V.....
December 22, 2013 09:28PM
Well if you have 24V on the supply, the regulator on your Mega likely isn't there anymore.

Voltmeters are a good thing.....
[Solved] Heatbed mystery
December 28, 2013 03:03PM
Bad solder pads on the heatbed. After cleaning and exposing the copper a bit more then re-soldering, the heatbed is working along with the rest of the printer. Thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login