Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruding issues

Posted by printer_man58 
Extruding issues
December 23, 2013 10:38AM
My extruder is not working properly. When i try to print and extrude at the same time the extruder gears move very slowly and barely anything comes out. I am able to extrude directly from pronterface and manually
Re: Extruding issues
December 23, 2013 12:02PM
The extruder gears SHOULD turn very slowly when you print.

But if nothing is coming out, check your e steps calibration . what value do you have for e steps/millimeter?

Also, do you prime the extruder before starting a print? I always manually extrude until I have a good flow, and THEN I hit the print button.
December 23, 2013 04:18PM
Thank you I think I will also do this from now on.
December 23, 2013 09:16PM
If you are running Slic3r *and* you are printing reasonable sized parts *and* you tend to forget things ...

Tell Slic3r to print a skirt on the part. Give it a minimum amount of filament (say 10mm) to use on the skirt. That way it will automatically prime the hot end with each print. It will also scrub the print head before the print.
December 23, 2013 09:58PM
I always have skirt turned on and I still manually prime the extruder.

You can also mitigate this issue through the use of start G code. I have start G code that pumps out a bit of filament before it even gets to the skirt. SO I actually use 3 steps to prime manual, start code and skirt.
December 23, 2013 10:42PM
I never actually understood what 'Skirt' meant? I saw it in the slicer program but didnt know what it did.
December 24, 2013 12:24PM
I also print a skirt, but for some reason nothing is coming out when i print. It only prints little droplets. It extrudes fine when i manually do it and when i do it in pronterface. Also a skirt is a little outline you print around the object.
December 24, 2013 03:17PM
Also the extruder gears don't move at all. They only move when I do it manually.
December 24, 2013 08:43PM
IF you only get bits when doing a skirt then something is wrong somewhere. What depends a lot on how much work you have already done setting up your printer. First place to look is extruder calibration.
December 24, 2013 11:04PM
What slicer are you using? If skeinforge, a lot of people had this issue if they hadn't activated the dimension plugin. Without this, no extrusion g code is generated.

It might be helpful to see the first 100 or so lines of your g code.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login