Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Actual costs of printing with a Reprap machine...

Posted by Forrest Higgs 
Actual costs of printing with a Reprap machine...
October 11, 2009 06:41PM
I recently started working seriously with Mathematica 7 and am also building up a BitsFromBytes Rapman.

In that a lot is known about the operating characteristics of the Rapman I decided to see if I could calculate what it would cost to run one.

Assumptions:

ABS filament - $9/lb

Rapman built out - $1500

Duty cycle - 50%

Service life - 36 months

Interest rate - 10%

Capital Recovery Factor - $0.134/hour

Print output rate {assuming that the extruder is operating 75% of the time during the print} ~ 1.2 cubic inches/hour

Electricity usage/cubic inch - 0.05 Kwhr/cubic inch {negligible}

*********************************************************************************

Capital cost of printing = ($0.134/hour)/(1.2 cubic inches/hour) ~ $0.11/hour

Assume 20% in repairs over the life of the printer

($0.11/hour)(1.2) = $.132/hour

*********************************************************************************

Cost of filament per cubic inch {assuming a 100% fill} = ($9/lb)/26.6 cubic inches/pound) ~$0.34/cubic inch

Note that I haven't included space rental for the printer.

Thus you are looking at paying for printing on a Rapman = $.132 + $.34 ~ $.47/cubic inch

Note that a print shop charges about $25 - $30/cubic inch for retail printing.

Assuming that they have bought a $30,000 Dimension printer, they are talking about about $2.70/cubic inch capital cost for prototypes printed.

**********************************************************************************

Figuring that both the Darwin and Mendel use about 1.2 kg of printed parts, these would cost...

(1200 cm^3)/(2.54^3 cm^3) = 73 cubic inches of printed parts

(73 in^3)($0.47/in^3) ~ $34.30

to print a set of parts for a Reprap.

**********************************************************************************

Now an interesting result is that ABS filament costs two and a quarter times more per cubic inch than acrylic sheet. When you look at the cost of nuts and bolts in bulk lots I don't expect BitsFromBytes to start shifting over to offering printed parts for their Darwin/Rapman printer any time soon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 06:56PM by Forrest Higgs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Re: Actual costs of printing with a Reprap machine...
October 11, 2009 08:48PM
I wonder how the economics would be if they were to switch to a full mass-production model (injection molding, etc).
October 12, 2009 09:59AM
jbayless Wrote:
> I wonder how the economics would be if they were
> to switch to a full mass-production model
> (injection molding, etc).

I think it has always been understood that you could mass produce a Reprap machine considerably cheaper than you could locally produce one. The question for me has always been whether the mass-produced machine plus shipping from China would actually be cheaper and, perhaps more importantly, could a mass produced machine be evolved in capabilities and materials used as quickly as a printed one.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
October 13, 2009 03:54AM
I wish I could get 1.2 in^3/hr and a 50% duty cycle over a few kilos of plastic; my current rate is about a quarter of that. I do hope to improve it though.
October 13, 2009 05:43AM
"I think it has always been understood that you could mass produce a Reprap machine considerably cheaper than you could locally produce one. The question for me has always been whether the mass-produced machine plus shipping from China would actually be cheaper and, perhaps more importantly, could a mass produced machine be evolved in capabilities and materials used as quickly as a printed one."

Oh yes, for sure - But much like the Cupcake can be used to print out parts for, say, a Mendel, it might be interesting for a fully mass-produced model to work alongside the self-replicating one. The cost and challenge of building a RepStrap is, I think, probably the biggest barrier to people entering the Reprap community.
October 13, 2009 04:05PM
some interesting calculations here cool smiley was just wondering if you had seen the reprap economics script by Enrique? RepRap economics script
October 13, 2009 04:19PM
Nope! Would love to see the formulae behind the model. smiling smiley

Thomas A. Edison
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login