Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quality of youtube videos concerning 3D-printing

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Quality of youtube videos concerning 3D-printing
January 28, 2014 04:01PM
Hi guys, I see a lot of youtube videos going around where you don't really learn anything new.

I mean, I have my own channel, but I only use youtube to put videos when I have a problem with printing. I can imagine that only seeing this kind of stuff is annoying for people looking for 'real' good videos about 3D-printing.

Recently I came across this one:
[youtu.be]
Nice story, good resolution, but in the end you see a print that has an awful banding (I think her layer settings are way off, and not compatible with her Z-steps), and it's just stupid talk really throughout the video.

Then you have this, good info, boring stuff speeded up etc:
[youtu.be]

I wonder, what makes a good video for YOU?
Show us the videos on 3D-printing you like the most, and let us (us, as in 'us reprappers') know why you like it so much.

Hoping to see a nice variety and collection of video's around smiling smiley
Re: Quality of youtube videos concerning 3D-printing
January 29, 2014 06:27AM
I don't like videos made with phone cameras constantly going out of focus and bouncing around.
Videos made with a static camera (webcam) suitably placed are much better.
TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 06:27AM by TCase.
January 29, 2014 10:15AM
Since this is a 3D printing forum, phone videos can be ok... As long as they printed and are using a holder/stabilizer. But I don't like it when the phone is turned and the video is centered with a dark frame on both sides.

Along with the jiggle issue TCase mentioned, when uploading to Youtube, DO NOT use the "stabilize" function. This creates a distortion effect that is very disorienting to the viewer and people have complained of feeling sick watching it.
January 29, 2014 11:24AM
Haha, oh yes, stabilise. I have a nice example of that right here:
[youtu.be]

Anyway, for me the content of the video is more important than quality, but a sharp image is ofcourse wanted!
Oh and just for fun, a 'bs' video from a year ago smiling smiley
[youtu.be]

The machine has improved a lot now, and is working flawlessly.
January 30, 2014 10:34AM
As much as I like videos of the prints that the printers are printing, I personally like to see the whole printer.
So maybe 2 stable cameras, 1 web cam for close-up printing view and 1 for a "whole printer" view.
Maybe even a split-screen of both views.

ISTAR Scope Club
January 30, 2014 02:42PM
I shot a couple of vids to show what 3d printing does for peeps that dont understand. If a picture is worth a 1000 words than video is worth 10000.

2 minute vid

3 minute vid
January 30, 2014 09:48PM
So let me see if I understand. A 3D printer is really good for making parts for 3D printers? Is that about right?
January 31, 2014 04:21PM
Funny you say that, cause other than building parts for my printer i really haven't found a good use for them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 31, 2014 06:26PM
Good I started this topic winking smiley

It's an ok video makovai, however, I personally don't like this kind of music in it.

BUT

What's the most important for me, I am just bored by watching a printer print. What I mean with this whole topic is that we need more content in a video. Someone explaining by talking, ideas, and maybe describing the printer and it's build like the Berrybot videos, which are great i.m.o.

If I want to watch a machine, I could also just sit next to my own printer winking smiley which I happen to do quite often already.
January 31, 2014 09:21PM
For me a good 3D printing video would involve the owner taking about how it works, what modifications they've made, printing parameters, problems etc. A short clip of the printer in action is okay, but not several minutes long.

EDIT: Oh, also the YouTube stabilisation feature looks horrible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 09:25PM by samp20.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login