Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nichrome Wire

Posted by Adam.m.Nelson 
Nichrome Wire
November 28, 2009 10:44AM
What gauge Nichrome wire is best for this application? The build wiki state 7 ohms of wire but no gauge.

Thanks!
Re: Nichrome Wire
November 28, 2009 01:56PM
Depends on how big your extruder barrel. We used to specify #31 AWG. In recent times, however, we've been looking at much longer lengths of glass insulated nichrome from Pelican Wire in heavier gauges like #27-28. The longer lengths lower the temperature on the surface of the nichrome and keep the insulation from perishing. I put together a Rapman 3 extruder head with #28 {7 ohms} and Kapton tape with JB-Weld securing the thermistor. It's been running without complaint for several weeks now. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
November 28, 2009 05:54PM
I don't think the length is particularly critical, although longer lengths allow you to spread the heat more evenly. The resistance of the length you choose however is directly related to the current that the wire consumes, and hence its heating power. A thinner gauge at a longer length simply spreads the same amount of heat over a larger area, so we specify resistance rather than gauge and length
December 01, 2009 08:38AM
Nope, that makes perfect sense, but I did't want to buy the wire twice winking smiley, its on order now, thanks guys
December 14, 2009 11:02AM
Actually I am quite interested in that question, I need to find a supplier in Europe.
What power is provided by the nichrome wire? I suppose it is fed with a 12V voltage? So, what is its resistance?
December 14, 2009 11:07AM
7 ohms, i don't know the voltage though (mine isn't up and running yet) but 12 is probably right.
December 14, 2009 11:23AM
It is 12 V.
December 14, 2009 11:28AM
there ya go. 20.5 watts smiling smiley
December 14, 2009 12:58PM
that is quite a low power. good, good...
I have a toaster that just stopped working, maybe one of its heating wires will do the trick.
Thanks for the info!
December 14, 2009 01:17PM
If that doesn't work out for you MakerBot sells the heater wire here
December 14, 2009 11:13PM
I'm using toaster nichrome on my extruder. I'm investigating alfoil as an electrical insulator/thermal conductor. it will need to be anodised to insulate properly, but a few hundred volts and some bicarb soda should do that nicely.
December 14, 2009 11:42PM
How are you anodising your wire? Soda?
December 15, 2009 12:35AM
the aluminium gets anodized, not the nichrome winking smiley
December 15, 2009 09:29AM
Please let me know if it works, I may be able to do that here too.
April 21, 2010 05:00AM
I'd also like to know if this alternative insulation works. My nichrome's insulation has come off and it would take too long to order a new one all the way to Japan...

At the wiki it says "...uninsulated wire should work as long as extra measures are taken to insulate the wires from each other. Kapton Tape or alternatively Teflon Tape is utilized for extra insulation." Has anyone tried using Kapton around the whole wire?

Thanks
April 21, 2010 05:19AM
I simply placed one layer kapton between the metal barrel and the uninsolated nichrome, and it worked well. Just make sure the wires don't touch.
April 21, 2010 07:04AM
Thanks a lot! I just did what you said and it's working!
smaddox
May 01, 2010 03:15AM
Just an idea - you could use teflon pipe dope to wrap the nichrome wire. I haven't tried it, but that stuff is dirt cheap at the local hardware store, and it should be very temperature resistant.
May 12, 2010 12:37PM
I wouldn't advise that: the nichrome wire has to heat up to a temperature higher than the extrusion temperature, due to the thermal resistance of the barrel. That means that, for an extrusion temperature of 220C, you may have to heat the nichrome wire up to 270C, say. So you may degrade the teflon, even though the extruder works at a reasonable temperature.
The exact values will depend on your machine and are not straightforward to obtain. There may be some cases where this would not be an issue, but I would be careful with teflon, if I were you. It can be pretty toxic when it degrades.
May 16, 2010 05:52AM
Having trouble finding Nichrome 80 in the UK for a reasonable price, but several places on eBay sell Nichrome 60. Would that be a suitable alternative?

Thanks
May 20, 2010 02:09AM
alianmac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having trouble finding Nichrome 80 in the UK for a
> reasonable price, but several places on eBay sell
> Nichrome 60. Would that be a suitable
> alternative?
>
> Thanks

They should be similiar in performance. The only difference is the increase in length due to a smaller percentage of Nichrome.
May 20, 2010 12:36PM
Looks like Nichrome 60 has a slightly higher resistance than Nichrome 80 of the same diameter. For example, 30-gage (0.010) wire is 6.75 ohms per foot in 60 and 6.5 ohms per foot in 80.

Both melt way above the safe temperature for Kapton so either should work.
June 02, 2010 05:08PM
Just thought i would mention, that you dont realy need nichrome with insulation, i bought mine off ebay! one layer of Kapton tape on the brass, wire rapped around thread, another layer of Kapton,and then wrap wire back over again, I currently have 150 ish print hours on this nozzle! and its hasnt missed a beat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login