Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z- Axis Designing & Changing the Orientation

Posted by pingnagan 
Z- Axis Designing & Changing the Orientation
February 19, 2014 05:37AM
Dear All Reprappers,

I have been trying hard to know the facts of designing a 3D printer.

I have few basic queries, rather I need to be clarified.

1) How the Z Axis movement is controlled via the Firmware, For Eg I have my Printer Connected to Threaded Rods and moving the whole X Plane in Upper direction for Increasing the height of the Printed Object.

I would need to make the following changes to my design, which is the best way to start and proceed.

a) I would need my Z axis movement to be controlledby making the X axis seperated and the Z axis moving from top to bottom, Sure I will need a mechanical design like replacing the threaded rods with Acme screw, how this can be effective with firmware and software knowing these mechnical changes.

Can anyone guide me through some documentation. I would love to design or modefy my existing printer and learn from it.

Regards

Pingnagan P
Re: Z- Axis Designing & Changing the Orientation
February 19, 2014 09:08AM
Makes almost no difference at all. The motor just needs to spin the other way. That can be achieved by either inverting the axis in the firmware config or simply rotating the motor connector 180 degrees.
February 19, 2014 11:56AM
How does the Gcode and Software understands the change, we can simple do it, while the same needs to be interpreted in the software aswell.
February 19, 2014 12:51PM
Nothing else needs changing at all. Gcode and slicing software do not need any changes.
February 19, 2014 01:10PM
Thanks lazzymonk(but ur not)
you mean the End stops correspond where to start and the hoem axis will do that, im bit worried that If the Software assumes moving the Z axis turns, while the mechanism is moving the Z Axis in opposite direction.

Hope Im clear on what Im trying to clarify. I know this room is full of experts. It would be great if I have some better way to have a Designing documentation, especially the parameters of Firmware.
February 19, 2014 01:33PM
You would need to move the end stop, i forgot about that. but still, software wise nothing needs to change with the endstop.

I get what you are trying to find out ( i think ) What you have to remember is that it is all relative. the firmware and slicing program dont need to know if it is the x axis moving up or the z axis moving down. It only wants the nozzle to be the asked for distance from the bed at the end of the move.
February 19, 2014 02:06PM
Thanks pal, one more question , please bear with me, if its silly.

How does the height of the object is determined, since that the parameter controlled by the Z axis, Im sure either grow up or go down could be achieved via stepper motor turns.

This really kills my brian, also im little concerned about this and the actual difference with XY-core mechanism. If this is okay, then in XY core mechanism by theory will obey about what you are saying, still I could get around the software or the firmware parameters for the height, all i could logically think is the end stop, so that the motor moves away while printing.

Again, this could be very basic for some one who have designed earlier, since im modifying and also adding some dual extruder modification with single hot end, i want to get clarified.

Thanks a ton in advance.
February 20, 2014 12:57PM
Can anyone help me in knwoing the fact of determinning the height factor with the Software or firmware.
February 20, 2014 03:43PM
I think this is simpler than you are making it. The firmware knows very little about the mechanics. That is good because as long as you build a printer with 3 axes then the firmware can drive it.

Imagine a blind man operating a winch handle, he doesn't know which way is up or down, or where the winch is. All he knows is that someone yells, "3 turns left" and he does that.

So the printer moves a number of steps according to the Gcode and the steps/mm config setting. That's all there is to it really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 03:44PM by bobc.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
February 21, 2014 03:57PM
of course, if you change to acme leadscrews, you are likely going to need to change your steps per mm in firmware. You are also going to want to familiarize yourself with the parameters for z direction and endstop location in case you need to change those as well.
February 21, 2014 04:00PM
Thanks Buback,

Thats where, I would need some guidance, the syntax on the Firmware, either its only parameter's or some level of coding is essential. Can you suggest some good knowledgebase on this.
February 21, 2014 04:49PM
it's certainly not difficult; you will just be changing some numbers, not writing code. what you're changing really depends on what firmware you are using. if you don't know, find out and start googling for help. I use marlin, and the configuration.h file (what you're going to be editing) is very well commented, so just open that and see if you can figure it out yourself.

What to change your numbers to can be a harder question than how the change them. The Prusa Calculator might be helpful for that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 04:52PM by Buback.
February 27, 2014 07:38AM
Sure, Ok, If Im not wrong, there could be many new commers just like me. These may be the assumptions that I can take granted

1) There is no difference really in moving any direction, as long as you define the Zero by end stops( rather homing).
2) Calibration is something varies depending upon the tooth that your pulley and the threads that you choose.

Can I have the real way of XY core mechanism working and the other printers, Do we need to define anywhere as XY kinematics( I came across on Reprap forumn) , How that designing varies with respect to the Z axis defining and utilizing the belts to ensure the XY motion.

I could get the theoritical understanding, but not sure, how the same is implemented in the Firmware of Marlin( since most of them use and good help available).

Can I move the X Axis component, I mean the Extruder also simultaneously by arranging the Y drive, so that only the extruder only moves XY direction( Im not sure, whether this is XY core mechnanism- Here Im using the drives seperately).

How far the above approach is different from XY core and any more light on this please.

Regards

PP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login