Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface / Slic3r Issue: Help!!

Posted by Janski 
Pronterface / Slic3r Issue: Help!!
February 21, 2014 03:34PM
Dear Makers,

I have recently learned on the difference between Pronterface and Slic3r from the generous people in this forum. I understand that you need to modify the g.code file in order to have set temperatures for the filament and the beg.

Problem: When I load the g.code to Pronterface from Slice3r, the settings for the ABS heater default to 0 Degrees, where as the bed temp stays correct.
LCD Shows: 21/0 for extruder and 56/110 for bed. The bed temp slowly increases but the extruder does not.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? If so, what is the fix or am I doing something wrong?

Sincerely,

Janski
Re: Pronterface / Slic3r Issue: Help!!
February 21, 2014 06:05PM
The hotend should start heating once the bed is up to temperature.
February 23, 2014 09:01AM
Dear stephen,

Once the bed is at 110, will the extruder change reading on the LCD display to 0/230? I ask because the settings show 21/0 for extruder and 21/110 for bed at start. This goes to tell me that the bed has a set temp it is trying to meet but the extruder does not.

If what you are saying is correct i would have to ensure heat bed gets to the desired temp and then proceed with hotend heat up.

Please advise smiling smiley

Janski
February 23, 2014 10:55AM
if you look at your GCode in a text viewer do you see an
M104 S230 ; set temperature
command?
It should be near the top after all of the commented out (winking smiley settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 10:57AM by cat.farmer.
February 23, 2014 04:34PM
I usually preheat the bed and hot end manually from pronterface using the set controls in the lower left. If I don't the hot end will not heat up when the print begins. The appropriate commands are there in the gcode, but they don't seem to work unless the hot end is turned on manually. It took me a while to figure out that the default values are editable. You can also send temperature commands to the printer from the send box in the lower right corner. M104 S180 will set your hotend temperature to 180C
February 23, 2014 05:02PM
When in Slic3r, in your Filament Settings tab, is your "first layer" and "other layers" temperature set?
February 24, 2014 10:41PM
cat.farmer
if you look at your GCode in a text viewer do you see an
M104 S230 ; set temperature
command?
It should be near the top after all of the commented out (winking smiley settings.

Yes the GCode does match what you have there.

Do you think it is the heating element that causes the temperature fluctuation ? I have swapped the heating elements , the 2nd one seems to respond faster.

The heating element I am using has this written on it: RB59. not sure if that is a standard for those heating diodes.

So I am going to reassemble the extruder and see if this new heating element works better and check wiring as well.

Sincerely,

Janski
February 24, 2014 10:43PM
D-Wes
It took me a while to figure out that the default values are editable.

What do you mean by default values being editable? you mean in slic3r? or the actual GCode?

Janski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 11:17PM by NewPerfection.
February 24, 2014 10:44PM
KingRahl
When in Slic3r, in your Filament Settings tab, is your "first layer" and "other layers" temperature set?

yes the temps are set to 240 and 235 for the next layers.
March 01, 2014 02:24PM
D-Wes
I usually preheat the bed and hot end manually from pronterface using the set controls in the lower left. If I don't the hot end will not heat up when the print begins. The appropriate commands are there in the gcode, but they don't seem to work unless the hot end is turned on manually. It took me a while to figure out that the default values are editable. You can also send temperature commands to the printer from the send box in the lower right corner. M104 S180 will set your hotend temperature to 180C

I wonder if that's a bug? It's not specific to printing from pronterface, either. It happens to me if I print from an SD card. If I don't preheat manually before selecting the file to print then the hot end won't heat only the bed will.

I've been meaning to make a post about it.
March 01, 2014 08:35PM
Thank you for that explanation: I will try to use that gcode . I have abs so that will be : M104 S230. I just received a new cartridge 40w 5mm for the hot end. First try words well but I will need to auto tune it first. Do you know the proper gauge for the heating bed . I need 110C.

Thank you

Janski
March 01, 2014 08:37PM
I mean proper wire size for the heating bed?
March 02, 2014 02:43PM
The 12V 40w heater cartridge came in and fit perfectly.

It. Is defanitely working faster.

Problem : when i try to run auto tune. It is failing.

Any insight outhere?

Janski
Re: Pronterface Issue: Help!!
May 21, 2015 05:53AM
Pronterface temperature bars are not displaying measured temp for me. They only show set temp. I can see the measured temp in the RH panel where I can enter gcodes and the bed is definitely heating up ok, just no indication on the temp bars or temp graph.. Any suggestions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login