Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 - Short Circuit Question-

Posted by Janski 
Ramps 1.4 - Short Circuit Question-
March 08, 2014 01:32PM
Dear Reprappers,

See attached pic. Picture shows the back of the Ramps 1.4 Shield.

The Heater cables must have touched as I was experimenting.

Question: Can I use a 20 gauge wire and bridge the highlighted connections?

My first attempt was to add solder to bridge the burnt gap on the copper film, but this results with the Printer Heater unresponsive, heater continues to hit 240C and does not respond to functions within Pronterface

Can anyone with some experience suggest a fix? Easy to buy a new ramps 1.4 board but why if I can fix it smiling smiley

Please advise,

Janski
Attachments:
open | download - ramps 1.4 shortcircuit.jpg (261.5 KB)
Re: Ramps 1.4 - Short Circuit Question-
March 08, 2014 01:46PM
You probably fried the MOSFET, which failed in a conducting state. Easy way to check - measure the resistance across the MOSFET and see if it is a short circuit. You can replace the MOSFET (                    ), or just switch to using the second extruder heater output if you don't use a RAMPS-controlled fan. Just switch the pin definitions in pins.h for the extruder heater pin and fan pin.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 08, 2014 02:52PM
Hey Cameron ,

Since there is a visible blown fuse between D10 and the MOSFET, does the mean the MOSFET is damaged?
I checked ohm of the MOSFET and it reads 3 ohms. The 2nd extruder MOSFET has the same reading.

I am using a ramps fan and would like to keep it there without changing pins.h. Do you think a simple bridge would solve the heating issue? Or does the non responsiveness represents blown MOSFET?

That's for helping me with all year questionssmiling smiley

Sincerely,

Janski
March 08, 2014 11:44PM
You csn use wire to jump the trace, that is a common practice. I suggest soild wire instead of stranded, just for ease. Does your fuse show sign of being burnt, the fuses are self reseting after they cool, unless it's been destroyed. I think you are safe to repair the board and apply power, worst case it does not work. If that is the case check the power at the fuse. The mosfet switches to ground..FYI.
March 09, 2014 01:52AM
It shows I am getting about 12.35 V to the board.

#if MOTHERBOARD == 33 || MOTHERBOARD == 67
    #define HEATER_1_PIN       9
  #else
    #define HEATER_1_PIN       -1    // EXTRUDER 2 (FAN On Sprinter)
  #endif

#define HEATER_2_PIN       9

As per suggestions I looked into pins.h . is this the area for me to tweakmoody smiley I have allready reversed these values.

Is this where I change D10 and D9 on the Ramps 1.4 board?

Please advise for Motherboard 33. One extruder but have extra E1 for additional extruder.

Where do I find the Pinout Reference for board manipulation?

Sincerley,

Janski
March 09, 2014 03:00AM
I played with the MOSFET pins.h settings and my method did not work.

after I changed the pins.h settings back . the heater again instantly starts heating up and continues . I checked the temp on the MOSFET and it was very high 175-205 C. Is this normal or def replace the MOSFET? if so what type do I use for Ramps 1.4 boards?

Best Regards,

Janski
March 09, 2014 05:33AM
cat.farmer
. Does your fuse show sign of being burnt, the fuses are self reseting after they cool, unless it's been destroyed. I think you are safe to repair the board and apply power, worst case it does not work. If that is the case check the power at the fuse. The mosfet switches to ground..FYI.

The fuse basically exploded in the middle of the D10 connection to MOSFET. Still new to the terminology. What's CSN?
I am thinking if picking a new one up and switching . Do you think 12.35 V is too much for this board ? This arduino mega 2560 is a knockoff from the Italian . Green and white .
The reason i ask is because the area is now very hot and the MOSFET get super heater up to 200C.

Please advise anyone , sorry or a the newbie questions.

Janski
June 01, 2014 06:52AM
Hello Guys! i think I have a problem with a short circuit omewhere on my board as well. I am new to this technology and am not quite sure what went wrong. I was trying to connect my power supply to the sanguinololu, but it wouldn't work. I ve tested the power supply, it works fine, which means there must be something wrong somewhere on the board. Do you have an idea about how to find out? Is it possible to fix or do I have to buy a new one?

Thank you!
Zuzu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login