Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder cold end problems.

Posted by roontoon 
Extruder cold end problems.
March 15, 2014 10:25AM
I encountered a bit of a problem with my Pursa I3 build. I downloaded the STLs and manual from Open 3D Engineering and everything has been going fine until I got to putting together the cold end of the extruder. The manual did not go over this plus when trying to figure how the parts went together it appeared as though my stepper motor would also not fit. I have a NEMA 17 and it appears that the hole for the shaft will not fit. I have emailed Open 3d but have gotten no answer yet. So it looks like I am going to have to look at getting a different cold end. My question is what is a good design to use. I have looked around and cannot find a comparison of the different types with the plusses and minuses. I plan on using a E3D hot end if that is any help. Thanks for any advice you may have.

d
Re: Extruder cold end problems.
March 15, 2014 04:06PM
What model extruder do you have? There are a couple of versions used on the i3. My guess is the standard wades. There are plenty of manuals to put that one together. Check out the wiki and seach for the type of extruder, you should find the links for instructions. If not, if you know the type someone here can point you to the correct manual.
March 15, 2014 04:17PM
Thanks for the reply Cat.Farmer (hope you have a good crop ) Here is a link for some instructions that I just found... [3dbotshack.com] but my main issue with this is the stepper motor which looks like it has some sort of off set to the shaft plus have searched all over the place for one like it but can't find one. Plus the mounting screw holes do not match up with the NEMA 17 that I currently have. So what I am really trying to find out in this post is what is another extruder cold end that folks find reliable and produces good prints.
March 15, 2014 07:44PM
Ahh I see.. that is a geared stepper, not a nema 17.
For a diffrent extruder, look at the geag wades, there are a couple dirct drive extuders. Mounting another extruder may pose a challenge, unless you are able to print a new mount. Or you can fab up something so you can print a good one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login