Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GT2 vs HTD vs 'Standard' Belts

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
GT2 vs HTD vs 'Standard' Belts
March 21, 2014 04:27PM
I just thought I'd mention here an excellent article that will dispel rumors and lies.
Edit: Apparently links don't work?
[www.sdp-si.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 04:28PM by MrDoctorDIV.
A2
Re: GT2 vs HTD vs 'Standard' Belts
March 21, 2014 05:01PM
Here's the rest of that paper:
[www.scribd.com]

Synchronous Belt Data Summary
Belt Tensile Properties
[www.bbman.com]
March 21, 2014 07:11PM
Links work just fine.

On drives using a low installation tension, small pulleys, and light loads, the backlash of the
PowerGrip GT2 system will be slightly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system. However,
with increased tension and/or loads and/or pulley sizes, the performance of the PowerGrip GT2
system becomes significantly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system.

So basically, in applications like our 3D printers, they say that the backlash with GT2 belts will be slightly better than trapezoidal timing belts. With proper-spec belts and pulleys, I doubt you'd really be able to tell a difference in the results between using T2.5 (for example) vs. GT2.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 22, 2014 08:36PM
Yeah, "slightly better" sounds better in technical documents than "negligible". The truth is that most poor print quality caused by belts come from loose belts. The low torque / speeds we use in 3d printing really makes it insignificant for most users.

A lot of the cheap Chinese "GT2" belt/pulley combos have much more slop and stretch more with use. The GT2 belts quotes are from Gates belts using Gates pulleys. My first printer used printed pulleys with XL belts (0.2" per tooth) and the quality of prints off of it is very good.

In the end, believe what you want, and use what makes you happy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login