Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My first build. I think i bite off a tad more than i can handlesad smiley

Posted by NCR4077 
My first build. I think i bite off a tad more than i can handlesad smiley
April 09, 2014 05:38PM
This is my first reprap and I understand basically nothing and just found this site exists so what i need to know is, is it easy to use salvaged component (like from old printers), How do I wire the thing, how do i program the thing, and do i need a microcontroller or can i just use an old computer to run the printer
Please I need a LOT of help. I am prepared to beg and cry.
Re: My first build. I think i bite off a tad more than i can handlesad smiley
April 09, 2014 05:46PM
I would say that building a printer from salvaged parts is a very advanced project. You will be much happier buying a kit or using off the shelf parts.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
April 09, 2014 05:58PM
You're much better off doing more research. Do some reading, think about what kinds of things that you want to print. Take a look at the multitude of different printer types (and variations). Spend some time reading documentation, as many sites have online docs for building their printer designs. Get an idea of the complexity (some projects are simpler than others). I got my RepRapPro Mendel Tricolour kit last summer, and I am still working out the kinks, and have yet to add the second and third extruders and hot ends.
April 09, 2014 07:06PM
Let me rephrase that.
I know maybe 60 75% and everything else 35% max
April 09, 2014 07:12PM
It is helpful to consider things like how much time, money, access to tools you have. What you want to print is also a biggie. There are some very good kits if you are comfortable assembling and not so much scratch building parts. A lot goes into making a printer work. Whether you start with a kit, or from scratch, or perhaps buying a kit of electronics, and one of mechanical parts, allow yourself the time to read this forum and the wiki, and learn about all the aspects of building a printer. The time you spend is not an expense, it is an investment. It helps to first become comfortable with knowing how a print gets from he drawing program that it was created in, to a finished object. This does not mean you have to be a programmer or an engineer, but once you have that basic understanding, you will be better prepared to tackle the project of building a printer. You will also understand the what and why, as you are building your printer. Most importantly, once you get your printer assembled, you will have a better handle on adjusting and calibrating it to work the way you want.
April 09, 2014 09:04PM
I have a crap ton of plywood, basic tools, and I have maybe 150 bucks, I know that kits of electronics will run about 300 or 400
April 10, 2014 01:12PM
It would be a stiff challenge to build a printer for $150, without a great deal of expertise. The available electronics / motors are about the most cost effective point of entry. You might consider trying to spend a bit of time researching what the community is doing, and see if you can't deepen your war chest in the interim. There are places to cut corners, but there comes a point where it ends up costing more money than time to save money. It seems like you can learn a lot by doing research first, then you will be able to start trying to decide how best to invest your resources. It is safe to say, that if anyone here had a working printer built for $150, it would already be on Kickstarter...
April 10, 2014 03:37PM
How about something more like a WolfStrap, instead of a RepRap...
[reprap.org]
April 10, 2014 03:45PM
I was thinking the same after doing my google searches
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login