Posted by stephen george 
My top lubricant
January 27, 2010 12:05AM
Hi

I have used many lubricant for the threads on the reprap. Most ending in
a black mess. oil, WD40, Silicon etc.

However I have found the cheapest, most easily available and best by far is the
humble pencil.

The pencil "lead" is of course graphite which can be bought in powder form as a lubricant. But it is much more convenient to run the pencil over the thread and in the thread leaving a little bit of the graphite behind.

I just wanted to share and find out if anyone else has some lubricants ideas.

Grin

Stephen

Source
[en.wikipedia.org]
Re: My top lubricant
January 27, 2010 02:05AM
So far I've been getting by OK with oil. But graphite seems like a better long-term solution because it won't attract dust the way oil and other 'wet' lubricants do.
January 27, 2010 09:59AM
This sounds like spam from the pencil industry. LOL Sorry Stephen

the only issue i have seen with Graphite being a locksmith is after a bunch of years it tends to become a friction agent like sand.

We use wd40 like oil with teflon it is more expensive under the brand name TriFlow.

oh no now i am advertising for them..

Bruce Wattendorf
January 27, 2010 05:29PM
When I was in the submarine service we used to use colloidal graphite suspended in isopropanol, applied with a brush. The brand name was "Neolube" and it worked great.
January 27, 2010 06:05PM
Brucew said

The only issue i have seen with Graphite being a locksmith is after a bunch of years it tends to become a friction agent like sand.

My reply
I don't suppose you could quantify "a bunch of years". If it's more than 5 I don't think I have to worry. Also what climate do you work in? and does this contribute to the graphite becoming a friction agent?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login