Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-Head MK V Mounting

Posted by brobinsonx 
J-Head MK V Mounting
April 24, 2014 04:41PM
I just purchased one of these J-Head MK-V hot ends off of eBay. After receiving it today I realized there is a brass fitting on the cold end that will not allow it to mount to my current setup (Mendel i2, Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder, was using a J-Head Lite hot end). Does anyone know of a solutions for mounting this hot end? I haven't had any luck finding anything.
A2
Re: J-Head MK V Mounting
April 24, 2014 11:23PM
It looks to me like this company is violating the GNU licence agreement by not providing attribution within the hotends.com blueprint they are depicting.

2. VERBATIM COPYING
You may copy and distribute the Document in any medium, either commercially or noncommercially, provided that this License, the copyright notices, and the license notice saying this License applies to the Document are reproduced in all copies, and that you add no other conditions whatsoever to those of this License. You may not use technical measures to obstruct or control the reading or further copying of the copies you make or distribute. However, you may accept compensation in exchange for copies. If you distribute a large enough number of copies you must also follow the conditions in section 3.

You may also lend copies, under the same conditions stated above, and you may publicly display copies.
"CC-BY-SA" means the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license published by Creative Commons Corporation, a not-for-profit corporation with a principal place of business in San Francisco, California, as well as future copyleft versions of that license published by that same organization.
[www.gnu.org]

J Head Nozzle
[reprap.org]

I think with a search on thingiverse you can find an adapter.
April 25, 2014 01:46PM
I would have to agree with your interpretation of the license, A2, although I did not realize that at the time of purchase.

I have searched thingiverse without luck. None of the mounts or extruder bodies I've seen account for the brass inlet part.... unless I'm missing something. The other problem I have is the fact that my printer is currently down due to the lack of a usable hotend. At $25 im not completely againt buying another j head lite to be able to print the parts needed (if I can find them) to use a more reliable hot end.
April 25, 2014 02:01PM
OK there is a chance that that hotend will not be usable since a lot of those cheap knock of J-heads simply do not work. But lets assume for a minute that you got one of the good knock off's and go from there.

Normally in a Real j-head you will find a hollow set screw in the top of the peek that allows you too remove the PTFE liner (which it must have to work correctly and some cheap clones do not have). With yours you have the PTC fitting threaded into the top of the barrier which is where the hollow set screw is normally located. If you remove that fitting you should find the necessary PTFE liner, if it is not there throw away the hotend. Now you can replace the PTC fitting with an NPT pipe plug with an internal hex that you can drill a hole in to make a hollow plug. Or if you just want to get printing you can simply cut the top of the PTC fitting off flush with the PEEK thermal barrier.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 25, 2014 04:52PM
I checked for the PTFE liner and it does have one, so i guess I dodged a bullet there. I like your idea about just replacing the top fitting. According to the print on eBay the threads are standard 5/16-24 SAE threads so a simple set screw will do (of course with a hole drilled). Hopefully tomorrow I can test it out. Thanks for the help Sublime.
April 25, 2014 05:39PM
brobinsonx
I checked for the PTFE liner and it does have one, so i guess I dodged a bullet there. I like your idea about just replacing the top fitting. According to the print on eBay the threads are standard 5/16-24 SAE threads so a simple set screw will do (of course with a hole drilled). Hopefully tomorrow I can test it out. Thanks for the help Sublime.

The threads on a Real J-head are 5/16-24 but I do not know of any pipe fittings that use bolt threads. My guess would be they use 1/8NPT or some smaller pipe fitting thread and that is why I mentioned the pipe plug. Either way good luck and I hope you get it printing.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
April 26, 2014 02:35PM
Sublime you were right, the threads are NPT threads. I wasn't able to find the right type of plug locally so I guess I'll be ordering one.... awesome, another week waiting.
April 26, 2014 02:45PM
In a lot of those PTC fittings you will find a hex hole that allows you to use an Allen key to tighten it. If your fitting has that hex in the threaded section then you can cut the top of it off and still be able to remove it if need be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 02:45PM by Sublime.

April 26, 2014 07:01PM
A2, ohio plastics isn't violating the gnu liscense. Source files have been provided through thingiverse, those being DXF and PDF files. Also, the name alone gives atribution to the original developers of the J-Head. What more is necessary?
A2
April 26, 2014 07:46PM
I think if hotends.com is using the same licence as lulzbot then they are in violation of the licence.

GNU - How do I resell a specific printer?
[forums.reprap.org]

jebba
Hey,

* You can use all the files you want, they are all free/libre/open.

* When you sell/distribute your machines, you must include the source code as well, *from your own archive*. You can't just point them at our archive, you need to make your own copy.

* Any changes you make must be documented.

* The copyrights must remain in place, typically "Aleph Objects, Inc.". You can update the files and also append your own name to the files.

* For the name, don't use LulzBot, TAZ, or Aleph Objects. Pick something wholly new. This way people won't confuse your product with ours. You can include a line something like "FooBarBot is a clone of the LulzBot TAZ by Aleph Objects, Inc." or somesuch.

* The latest greatest dev files are here: [devel.lulzbot.com]

* When launched, that directory will be replicated here (not there at present): [download.lulzbot.com]

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I don't check the forum too often, so feel free to email me directly at moe@alephobjects.com.

Good luck,

-Jeff

And where do you get ohio plastics from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 07:47PM by A2.
April 26, 2014 08:23PM
I don't know. When your in a guerilla war, you shoot first and ask questions later.
April 29, 2014 06:40PM
A2
I think if hotends.com is using the same licence as lulzbot then they are in violation of the licence.

GNU - How do I resell a specific printer?
[forums.reprap.org]

jebba
Hey,

* You can use all the files you want, they are all free/libre/open.

* When you sell/distribute your machines, you must include the source code as well, *from your own archive*. You can't just point them at our archive, you need to make your own copy.

* Any changes you make must be documented.

* The copyrights must remain in place, typically "Aleph Objects, Inc.". You can update the files and also append your own name to the files.

* For the name, don't use LulzBot, TAZ, or Aleph Objects. Pick something wholly new. This way people won't confuse your product with ours. You can include a line something like "FooBarBot is a clone of the LulzBot TAZ by Aleph Objects, Inc." or somesuch.

* The latest greatest dev files are here: [devel.lulzbot.com]

* When launched, that directory will be replicated here (not there at present): [download.lulzbot.com]

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I don't check the forum too often, so feel free to email me directly at moe@alephobjects.com.

Good luck,

-Jeff

And where do you get ohio plastics from?

literally no-where, it's most likely ohioplastics again, he's just spammed my post in the forsale section with a bit of gracefull advertising for his hotend along with a page and bit of hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login