Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heated bed/ extruder hot end board confusion

Posted by steffman 
heated bed/ extruder hot end board confusion
April 25, 2014 06:21PM
so, this is my first real forray into anythign really electronicy other than getting a raspberry pi to do a timelapse inside a fridge. as is I have fairly limited electronics skills but I would've thought enough to just about get by, but this has me stumped.

One thing I will admit to now though - I did go to move one of the thermistors from T1 to T2 forgetting it was still running. It made a bit of a noise and switched off (i'm wondering maybe static?) but everything seemed to power up as well as it was before.

So I have my bed power cables going to the D8 terminals and the extruder going to D10

when I have the extruder in T0 and the bed in T1 I get the following error
[ERROR] Error:0

: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
[ERROR] Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
and it can't read the current temperature of the bed or extruder and neither powers up when I set them on in pronterface.

If I switch the thermistors around but leave the power cables where they are, I can get a current temperature (room temp) for the bed (but pronterface reads it as Ex0) and I can get the extruder to heat up (the red LED4 comes on and it just stays on) but no temperature reading of the hot end.

There's 12V across both the connections from the power supply but I can't get anything across D8.

If I swap the bed and extruder power in D8/D10 then the bed powers up instead.

This makes me think it's something on the board thats not working, but it came presoldered/configured in a kit so I don't want to do anything with it without checking. (I also wondered if I could run the bed from D9 instead of D8 to see if that could give me anything to go on, but I've never done anything with arduino before so I'm not sure what Id need to do - I think I would need to change some settings in the configuration.h file?)

cheers for any help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 06:22PM by steffman.
Re: heated bed/ extruder hot end board confusion
April 27, 2014 12:30PM
Seems your D8 output is dead then. Did you measure voltage directly on that output.
Guess you should be able to use D9 instead. Not sure on how to reprogram FW for it though
Hope some Arduino fan can help you out on that one ...
Ha det gött
Bosse

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
April 27, 2014 12:56PM
Quick look I'm guessing you can fix it in file pins.h
But not really obvious what defines to alter .....
You have HEATET_0_PIN and HEATER_BED_PIN there
Changing HEATER_BED_PIN my guess ..... but to what ????
*Edit*
Hm , you actually have HEATER_BED_PIN set to 8 there in one row .... is it related to D8 ?
Maybe change that to 9 .... on your own risk grinning smiley

Ha det gött
Bosse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 01:11PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
April 27, 2014 07:02PM
Hi. I am having the same issue as I am not getting any voltage from D8 when I try to heat up the bed.
I have a fan connected to D9 which works just fine, and my extruder connected to D10 which also works fine.

I am guessing it's some setting I need to change in Configuration.h or Pins.h but am not sure where and to what value (using Marlin).

Any help would be appreciated.

--- so long and thanks for all the fish...---
April 27, 2014 09:01PM
You can't attach the heated bed to any other pins other than D8. this is the only one that is connected to the 11amp cct.

In saying that it is the Only thing connected to the 11amp cct, So check your 11amp fuse is ok, and that you have 12v going into the 11amp side
April 28, 2014 06:50AM
I get 12V going fine to the 11amp side. Which one is the fuse?
Is it possible that it got blown without ever working once? I mean that I never got the heated bed working yet.. I would assume that it would get blown if it would draw too much current that maybe my PSU could not handle, right?
April 28, 2014 07:38AM
I'll give mine a test when I get home from work, just out of interest Hlias, where did you get yours from? (assuming this is ramps 1.4 for a prusa i3?)
April 28, 2014 07:50AM
hey steffman! Mine is a ramps 1.4 for a prusa i2 and got it from sainsmart. Let me know how it works out for you.
btw did you ever get the bed to heat up?
April 28, 2014 02:42PM
btw just checked my fuse and it is fine. I am not sure whether I should check the mosfet too. Any ideas? Still haven't solved the problem and it baffles me...
April 28, 2014 04:17PM
right well i'm not actually sure where the fuse is to check (pass me the dunce hat and I'll go stand in the corner)

I got a reply from the guy who sold me my printer

Hi Steffan,

Sorry to hear about the printer problems. It sounds like could be T0 that isn’t working, or D08. You can try bypassing T0 by swapping to T2 (need to change the lines:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 70
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0

to

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 70

in configuration.h (which you can download here: [forums.reprap.org] )

If it’s D08, you can try D09 (which can be for a 2nd extruder).

If neither of these things work, I can send on a replacement RAMPS if you then return yours.

Cheers,
Greg

I changed the temp sensor settings in configuration.h and it seems to have been a step in the right direction! I now have the bed reading the correct temperature and heating as it should from T1. unfortunately I'm now getting a reading of 500 from the extruder and I can't activate it. I guess that means D8 and D9 are working fine but something's still not right
April 28, 2014 05:11PM
The fuses (I also just found out about them... (hiding dunce hat)) are the yellow capacitor looking components in front of the voltage inputs. just check that you get a continuity between their terminals and that you get 12v on them.

Now about the temp sensor I am going to give it a try, although I don't understand why T0. I had the extruder thermistor on T0 all this time and working fine, and have the bed thermistor connected to T1. Also the 70 corresponds to the arduino pin? And is this not in the pins.h file?

(let me know if this works out for you eventually)
April 28, 2014 05:29PM
Steffman, seems to me you need to get your guy telling you how to reconfigur EXTRUDER heat feed from D8 (not working) to D9
I read him he tells you that is possible ...
As I understand you it's only temp sensor you have relocated so far

Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 28, 2014 05:35PM
well Hlias it seems we may have slightly different issues then. I have had both my bed and hot end heat up, but never reading the correct temperatures.

Have you tried your bed in D10 with the thermistor on T0? I'm not sure if this is entirely advisable, but as far as I can tell this just tricks it into thinking its the hot end and should heat up the same way your hot end does, just don't leave it on for very long for it to go over 60 degrees because I guess that could blow it.

if you've never had any heat from your bed then I'm not sure, got your + and - the right way round?

the 70 refers to the type of thermistor/hot end (so it's telling the board that temp sensor 2 will have a 70 is 100k TEWA NTC 1% - on 3dimesnionshop hot ends on it and temp sensor 0 won't be used)

@sidhabo - I now have power coming successfully from D8 to the bed and it is reading the correct temperature so it wasn't an issue with the power from D8 or D10, I think it may be the thermistor in the hot end causing the problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 05:37PM by steffman.
April 28, 2014 06:00PM
Oki then ... guess I'm mixing you 2 guys problem up maybe hehe
If you suspect thermistor you can measure resistance with Ohm meter.
My bed thermistor was 108 kOhm at 23 degree C and e.g. 12.8 kOhm at 70
At least the same basic should be for yours, lesser Ohm at higher temp
When I had broken thermistor for bed, bed won't heat up at all since FW program stop on Heater error in LED
Broken connection for thermistor is read as temp below min accepted
So if you lack 12 V for heater feed it can just as well be thermistor malfunction
That last one maybe more for Hlias then .....

Ha det gött
Bosse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 06:03PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
April 28, 2014 07:34PM
Steffman: it appears there are two different issues indeed. From what I understood initially was that you couldn't get the bed to heat up initially although you had your extruder working just fine (that is actually the case for me, where I have been printing for a while without heated bed, on blue tape on glass). So as I understand now, you had both the heated elements working , the only problem being the temperature reading being wrong?
If that is the case then this is clearly a thermistor issue, whether on the hardware or software part.
If that is not the case did you get the bed working after you made the changes suggested by your supplier?

And yes my connections are all fine. My problem is that when i send the message to heat the bed through printrun, I don't get any voltage (when measured with my voltmeter) on the D8 ends. the readings to both ends is 12.4v, which after checking that my fuse is working, I presume that the MOSFET is not triggering (probably from some way through the thermistor input) in order to pull the negative end of D8 to ground.

And thanks for the clarification on the 70. I will have a look at that.

Sidhabo: thanks! I will have a look at my thermistor settings and get back to you in case i get any change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 07:35PM by Hlias.

April 30, 2014 05:25AM
Guys I just solved the problem (at least my heater bed slowly starts to heat up).

It was kind of an obvious mistake and thanks to Steffman's comment from the supplier I managed to fix it. It appears that I had not set the Heater bed temp sensor (it was set to 0) and that is why nothing was working.
thanks for all the help guys!

April 30, 2014 01:34PM
Good going Hlias. Thanks for feedback. Always nice to see happy ending to problems smileys with beer
And also very helpful for other people that might have the same problem.
Many people miss out on that in forums, once they are happy on problem solved .....

Ha det gött
Bosse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 01:37PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
May 14, 2014 06:33AM
sidhabo
Good going Hlias. Thanks for feedback. Always nice to see happy ending to problems smileys with beer
Many people miss out on that in forums, once they are happy on problem solved .....

Ha det gött
Bosse
Very true! so in the spirit of sharing what we learnt

it turned out my hot end was broken (I tried taking a resistance reading of the thermistor and the connecting wires subsequently slid out of their heat shrink)

swapped it out for a new one and everything's heating up as it should now smileys with beer
May 14, 2014 09:33AM
steffman
sidhabo

Ha det gött
Bosse
Very true! so in the spirit of sharing what we learnt

it turned out my hot end was broken (I tried taking a resistance reading of the thermistor and the connecting wires subsequently slid out of their heat shrink)

swapped it out for a new one and everything's heating up as it should now smileys with beer
that is good that you figured it out that make sure you put everything back to normal before you run it too long.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login