Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best hotend?

Posted by tmorris9 
Best hotend?
April 29, 2014 08:48PM
I know this is probably like asking what the best car is and don't want to start a "my hot end is better" war but I would like to know who is happy with what hotends.

Little history, I have only used a Budaschnozzle and while they print great when something happens to them you are better off just buying a new one as the all aluminum design means everything fuses together at printing temperatures and the most expensive parts will not be reusable (Am on my third one in 2.5 years). My printer is an AirWolf 3D and based on Prusa Air with a Greg's Wade extruder. I print almost 3mm ABS almost exclusively but may want to print some PLA from time to time. I don't need a high temp (all metal) hotend but if that's what's best I would be open to it.

I have looked at a few but see some complaints about all of them (just like with anything) I have considered the E3D (they seem to have a nozzle issue that looks solvable) but I am a little leery of one that needs a fan just because I could imagine what would happen if the fan fails (every little fan I have ever had failed). Also looked at one from MG Plus (ebay USA). Also J-head and one I can't remember the name, something like Alusia or something, has a round heater block and I think it's originally from Australia.

So if you have had great experience with your hotend please chime in.

Thanks!
Re: Best hotend?
April 29, 2014 10:23PM
Recently purchased one of these for a large printer retrofit:
[www.ebay.com]

It's expensive but the quality is top notch. I'm not sure you could find one better made or functioning. I don't think you could make one yourself for the price. It heats very quickly and the tips interchange in less than 10 seconds so you can have a tip for rubber, abs, and PET.

I'm also considering putting this one on my Airwolf:
[www.ebay.com]

Here is just the hot end. They come in 1.75 or 3mm
[www.ebay.com]
April 29, 2014 11:11PM
I have the mg plus, I can tell you it is a good hotend, but not great. Does not jam and works well. It does have it's short comming. On my second PEEK, and 4th PTFE liner in @ 6 months.. part my fault, but not all And I have been looking for something else. I would consider it a great entry level hotend. It is a copy of makergears hotend, and at a few dollars more it would be a better buy as the design is a little better.
May 01, 2014 02:40AM
I started out with the Budaschnozzle on my Lulzbot and have since gone to the E3D's. I have no complaints or issues with the E3D 3mm hotend.
May 01, 2014 08:37AM
I also just went from a Magma hot end to an E3D with much better results.
May 01, 2014 01:26PM
Thanks guys. I see a theme here so I think I'll go with an E3D.
May 01, 2014 01:36PM
If you print ABS almost exclusively, why not just get a J-head? Simple, dependable and relatively inexpensive - just not as 'sexy' as the new crop of steel nozzles.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2014 07:07AM
I can show you a melted pile of PEEK from a thermistor accident that shows why the E3D is far superior to the J-Head. sad smiley

The only problem with the E3D is that some sources say that it is not good with PLA. I have run almost a full spool of PLA through mine with no issues, so maybe it was a problem with an older version that has subsequently been fixed?????
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login