Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heat Bed shuts off power supply

Posted by kevbme 
Heat Bed shuts off power supply
May 02, 2014 11:13AM
When I click the set button on my heat bed in pronterface, it kicks on for a fraction of a second and then the light on my power supply turns off and nothing works. It comes back on when I hit reset, but bed still won't work. I haven't gotten to print anything yet. I have tested the bed before and it worked just fine. My wires and connections look ok. I unplugged the bed and it didn't happen. Only when it is plugged in.

Can anybody suggest something to check? Do I need to replace my bed?

I have this power supply. easyreprap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 11:26AM by kevbme.
Re: Heat Bed shuts off power supply
May 02, 2014 02:03PM
Check the open circuit resistance of the bed. If it is greater than about 1 ohm or so, then the bed shouldn't be pulling more than 12A and maybe the power supply isn't up to spec. If it's less than 1 ohm, then it could be trying to pull more than 12V/(bed resistance) out of the power supply and overloading it to shutdown.
May 02, 2014 04:08PM
The power supply is propably not up to the job. The heated bed uses a lot of power. Usually more than twice of all the other electronics combined. The link in your post does not work for me, but the cheap Chinese PSU's more often than not underdeliver their specs.
May 02, 2014 05:12PM
DaveX
Check the open circuit resistance of the bed. If it is greater than about 1 ohm or so, then the bed shouldn't be pulling more than 12A and maybe the power supply isn't up to spec. If it's less than 1 ohm, then it could be trying to pull more than 12V/(bed resistance) out of the power supply and overloading it to shutdown.

Im getting 1.3
May 02, 2014 05:14PM
Thijs
The power supply is propably not up to the job. The heated bed uses a lot of power. Usually more than twice of all the other electronics combined. The link in your post does not work for me, but the cheap Chinese PSU's more often than not underdeliver their specs.

Its the cheaper of the 2 from easyreprap.com
May 02, 2014 08:24PM
What is a good power supply to use? I have a sanguinololo board.
May 03, 2014 02:22AM
kevbme
DaveX

Im getting 1.3

12V/1.3ohm=9.2Amps, so if the steppers, hotend and sanguinnololu take about 6amps, then your power supply is faulting before delivering 15A, rather than the rated 20A. Maybe try the 30A from the same seller, or look fora better quality one that might actually the deliver 20A.
May 03, 2014 02:45AM
There is a voltage adjustment. Can I try turning it up before buying a new one?
May 03, 2014 01:48PM
I just bought this one from best buy. [www.evga.com]

+12v 49a
May 04, 2014 04:03PM
The new power supply works. Thank you.

Now I have more problems. I started a new topic on it. reprap
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login