Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange Problem With First Layer??

Posted by Horse Renoir 
Re: Strange Problem With First Layer??
October 21, 2014 06:23AM
The tape I used is an adhesive transfer type and it's rated 50F higher than the 468 tape. My 3M contact told me it's the best they have. It's considerably more expensive than 468MP, but I had a sample of it.

I'm getting ready to move to a new house. Lot's of work ahead, but after I get settled I'll try again. Thanks.

Wayne
PRINTinZ.com
October 21, 2014 05:49PM
It's interesting to note that only the peak temperature rating is higher. The continuous rating of 468MP is the same as the tape you specified. I was confused initially, as you mentioned using VHB tape, which is an acrylic foam core, which you probably wouldn't want to use for this application.

One thing to note, is in my case, I still use bulldog clips to hold the glass/Ultem onto the heater, so I do have constant clamp pressure acting on it. I have a bunch of bubbles in my glue layer, but they have completely gone away under the clip areas. There is also another area where the bubbles were eliminated in an area where an ABS print sat for 14 hours. I keep wondering if I could get rid of all of the air if I heated the bed up and could apply even clamp pressure?

Mike Anton
[manton.ca]
[laserlight.wikidot.com]
October 21, 2014 08:49PM
You can. I did it with a regular home iron and all the bubbles fizzed out at the edges. But you have to get it really hot and it's hard to maintain even pressure. If you had something like a T-shirt heat press maybe...
Or if you sandwiched it between two pieces of granite in an oven for several hours. Like those sink cut-out chunks.

Wayne
PRINTinZ.com
October 21, 2014 09:44PM
Yeah, I was thinking two granite surface plates in an oven would work nicely, but I only have one of them...

Mike Anton
[manton.ca]
[laserlight.wikidot.com]
October 21, 2014 10:00PM
Lol. Me too.

Wayne
PRINTinZ.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login