Printrun on Ubuntu
May 19, 2014 11:30PM
I recently downloaded Ubuntu to my computer. I am now trying to download Printrun, but I cam having many issues.

I downloaded Printrun, and unzipped the file. And I also ran " sudo apt-get install python python-serial python-wxgtk2.8 python-tk git-core ".

Next step seems to be to run " python pronterface.py " but the terminal is saying there is no such file or directory, Why is it saying this? I downloaded printrun and I see the pronterface.py file.

This is entirely new to me so if anyone could help explain that would be great.
Re: Printrun on Ubuntu
May 19, 2014 11:35PM
I just click on the pronterface.py file in the file browser and when the pop up asks if you want to run it or open in a text editor I select run. You may need to right click on the file and in the properties menu change the permissions to allow executing as a program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 11:36PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 20, 2014 12:53AM
When you invoke the python interpreter directly, as he is doing, it is not necessary that the py file be executable. It does need to be readable though.

I can't tell from your description whether it is the pronterface.py it cannot find or the python interpreter itself. Can you post the exact screen output?

Also, are you in the same directory (or folder) as the pronterface.py file? When you enter your command, you are not giving a path, so python is expecting to find the file in the current directory.
May 20, 2014 04:55PM
When I type in python pronterface.py the response I get is " python: can't open file 'pronterface.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory "
I have pronterface.py set up as an executable file, but there is no option to run it when I right click on it. I'm wondering if its an issue with python itself.
May 20, 2014 05:06PM
What directory are you in when you type your command? Is it the same directory as the pronterface file itself? It should be. Or you can say "python /full/path/to/pronterface.py" (of course I don't mean this literally - just put in the actual path to the file). It's probably best, though, if you're in the directory with pronterface.py itself, because it undoubtedly imports other modules from that same directory and will need to be able to find them.
May 20, 2014 08:06PM
I'm just pressing control alt T to open up the terminal. I have tried typing in the directory like you stated, but it didn't work. How do I get in the right directory to type the command? Printrun is in my downloads directory by the way.
May 20, 2014 08:17PM
May 20, 2014 08:34PM
OK looks better, but now its saying " bash: /home/aprzy15/Downloads/Printrun-master/printrun/pronterface.py: Permission denied "
May 21, 2014 12:45AM
Looks like it is trying to run the py file directly. For that, you need to set execution permission on the file.

You need to learn some basic Unix commands. To get into your downloads directory, use the cd command: cd downloads. That is assuming you are in your home directory to begin with. If you have this in your downloads directory, it makes me question your overall disk organization. Your Printrun files should probably be in their own directory. Mine are in a directory named Printrun that exists in my home directory. You can do all of this through the GUI, then open the terminal, CD to Printrun, and type python pronterface.py.

You can also set pronterface.py as executable by typing chmod 755 pronterface.py. then you might be able to run it by right clicking on the file in the GUI.
May 21, 2014 04:29PM
Turns out, it wasn't set as an executable file. I thought it was set earlier, but anyway it works now. Is there any way to create a shortcut for it other than dragging the pronterface.py file into the terminal.
May 21, 2014 04:59PM
You can install alacarte if it is still available (its a program to add entries into the program list) if you add %U to the end of the command it will also allow you to start if from the open with context menu. If alacarte is no longer available you can read up on creating .desktop files and where to add them (in a hidden directory in the home directory) [askubuntu.com]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 22, 2014 12:44AM
It depends on what you use for a launcher. I use Cairo dock and it was relatively easy to add a custom launcher with a command string behind it. I found the default Ubuntu launcher to be absolutely horrible. Cairo works well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login