Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DRV8825 pot position ?? Where is the dead zone?

Posted by spurtee 
DRV8825 pot position ?? Where is the dead zone?
May 28, 2014 05:09PM
Hi
Trying to finish my Morgan. Using 2 DRV8825s and 2 A4998 driver chips.
I know for the A4998, if the power from the board is on the left, with the pots to the right on the chip placement, the potentiometer range is from 7 o'clock til 4 o-clock - with the alledged sweet spot at 10 o'clock ~ .5v

What is it for the DRV8825. The two chip types are oriented differently with the pot on the left of the DRV8825 chip. Is 10 o'clock the same target for the DRV8825s ?
Or is it reversed with 4 o'clock the target?

Thanks. Want to figure this out before I plea for help with motors that won't turn.
Thanks.

Steve
Re: DRV8825 pot position ?? Where is the dead zone?
May 30, 2014 09:13AM
Looking at... [www.pololu.com]

GND is on the far side from the pot. You should be able to see GND labled on the ramps (i'm guessing you have a ramps board).

So the pot out be on the left side, opposite of how the A4998 mounts.
June 02, 2014 09:54AM
Thanks ejbantz

BUT, I know how to orient the chip in the RAMPS board.

What I need to know is - what is the position of the flat-side on the DRV8825 to setup for the motor.

A4988 aims the flat-side to 10 o'clock to begin the setup. This is less than the mid-point for the distance between the pot stops.
Trying to get the voltage correct for the DRV8825s. Aiming for .47v. My pots don't have stops that work so need to know where to start the setup.

If you are using DRV8825s - where is your pot set at ?
With power oriented on the left, the chips set with the pots on the left, towards the power, where is the flat-side located of the pot located?
Is it set at 10 o'clock or 4 o'clock ? Or somewhere in between.
Thanks
June 04, 2014 12:43PM
Hey I got info from my maker.

On the DRV8825 the mid-point of the 270 degree range is at 9 o'clock.
So, allegedly the range would be something like from 5 o'clock to 2 o'clock or 4 o'clock to 1 o'clock - low to high.

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ?

Where does anybody else have their DRV8825s set at ?
Does no-one use the DRV8825 ?

I believe my maker but he wouldn't give me a range, so I had to interpret the 270 I read somewhere else.
June 04, 2014 02:15PM
You should be able to measure vref directly off the pot wiper, which should be much easier and more precise than trying to figure out the angles.
June 05, 2014 12:46AM
Thanks Andrew.

Yes, I'll be measuring from the top of the pot and the negative lead into the power area.

The question was really related to identifying a starting position to fire-up the motors.
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login