Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need advice with y axis positioning in relation to endstop placement

Posted by ecleary 
need advice with y axis positioning in relation to endstop placement
May 29, 2014 09:29PM
hi folks! I"m having a few issue with proper y axis placement and y endstop placement on my pursa i3 build, I've done a bit of scouring the internet and kind find no documentation that is specific to my needs so I'm here for help

I've attached photos to give visual aid to so you can see what I"m on about and I'l reference these throughout

So I got a prusa i3 from 3dprinterczar and so far so good, I"m impressed with the product seeing as it only cost $500. (take a look at "my pursa" to see the overall printer) However this may change when it's printing. The instructions were fairly good however they left me wondering where about was I to place the y axis in relation to the hot end.

So after a bit of thought I decided that the best orientation for the y axis is to have the back of the hotbed a little bit away from the hotend, when in the hotbed is in the fully forward position (see "hotplate forward 1") so that when printing to the very back of the print area there would be no collision with the bearings and the frame in order to stop any wobble caused by such a collision during print.

From here I can push the hotbed right back and the hotend can line up with the front of the print area and go pass it (see "hotplate back 2 no endstop") so there should be room for an endstop back there. However when I place the endstop holder where the instructions say to (see "endstop placement") the hotend can no longer reach the front of the print area (see "hotplate back 1 with endstop") because the endstop is now obstructing the hotbed (see "hotplate location when in contact with endstop").

For refernce I've added 3 photos to show

A) relation to the stand with no endstop (this is the hotebed fully back)

cool smiley relation to stand where hotend is in line with front of hotbed (this is with no endstop)

C) relation to stand with endstop

note the difference between where the hotbed is when the endstop is placed where it aught to be according to the manufacturers instructions and where it is when the print area is lined up with the hotend

hmmmmmmmm not too sure where to place this bad boy so as to be able to have the back of the print area line up with the hotend and the front, was maybe thinking of opoxy glueing the endstop holder to the perpex stand, it would reach however i think opoxy melts through plastic and superglue and it night not be a great idea if the endstop needs readjustment. I cant seem to find anywhere on the chassis to put it in the right location without causing the same issues

Any idea's folks or any literature you could point me in the way that might shed some light on how to properly position the y axis and endstops
Attachments:
open | download - my pursa.jpg (25 KB)
open | download - hotplate forward 1.jpg (19.9 KB)
open | download - hotplate back 2 no endstop.jpg (18.2 KB)
open | download - endstop placement.jpg (15.2 KB)
open | download - hotplate back 1 with endstop.jpg (19.3 KB)
open | download - hotplate location when in contact with endstop.jpg (25.9 KB)
open | download - relation to stand no endstop.jpg (22.3 KB)
open | download - relation to stand where hotend is in line with front of hotbed.jpg (16.2 KB)
open | download - relation to stand with endstop.jpg (23.7 KB)
Re: need advice with y axis positioning in relation to endstop placement
June 04, 2014 12:32PM
Hi Buddy
I am also new to 3d printing . I have a prusa i3 with the melzi board, I had to build mine just looking at the pic on ebay their were no you tube stuff for the acrylic build but I did it in the end, my problem was same as yours could not find were to place the end stops. so I just thought right there should be good and as it turns out they are in the right place for me. also I couldn't upload to the board either but since I got lcd from think3dprint I think they give you a guide how to install software so I did it all again and bang job done can upload if I want and now its stand alone. still need to fine tune it some thing isn't right but cant think what it is yet but just keep messing with it the best way to learn. winking smiley Have you got it working now then winking smiley
June 06, 2014 04:48PM
no its still a work in progress, ive ran a test on the electronics and everything seems to be working. Need to calibrate my motors, the extruder motor was vibrating so thats either not enough current or some tinkering in the firmware needs

however it wont be another couple of weeks till i get some filament so i have till then to fine tune and study relevant material

very excited to get going
Attachments:
open | download - y end stop extension (1).STL (23.7 KB)
June 06, 2014 04:50PM
oh yer i attached an stl of a y axis extension designed in solidworks, at the mo the endstop is cable tied to the precision bar of the chassis and makes contact with the bearing however this might move over time so i designed the extension to go onto the chassis at the back where the endstop will make contact with the back of the bed and so it can be adjusted as required and easily tightened with a couple of nuts
August 07, 2014 02:22PM
Hi Fella, sorry this is the first forum ive been on and I copuldnt find my posts till now. hows it going all working now, did what I said help at all ????
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login